Mutts!!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by theteenchick89, Jan 22, 2016.

1. theteenchick89

theteenchick89 New Egg

Jan 22, 2016
    I want to know all about mutts including Price range pictures and more[​IMG]:p

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I'm going to take a guess that you're talking about backyard chicken mutts? The mixed breed kind of mutts? I don't happen to have any but a lot of members do, especially if they have a rooster and multiple chicken breeds in their flock.

Hopefully, someone can come along and share some pictures with you.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    :welcome

It's s bit difficult to talk generally about mix breeds, as it would be for dogs. I'd say that prices will be low compared to heritage breeds.

Ct

5. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! The topic you're looking at is kind of difficult to try and explain since it's so broad. Like asking about animal behavior, it's a huge umbrella. Most of the advice will be just as broad and not specific to each crossbreed.Most crossbreeds won't sell as high as purebreds unless it's a popular crossbreed. For example, most if not all people here on BYC have heard of Sexlinks. This is a popular crossbreed known well for its amazing brown egg laying ability and is sold at most hatcheries. My local hatchery sells them the same price as Rhode Island Reds, Barred Plymouth Rocks, and White Leghorns. In my opinion these are the most well known breeds and the most common. Just as the sex link. Now as for the Austra White; crossbreed between Black Australorp and a White Leghorn is what my hatchery does, they sell for less than the Black Australorp but more than the White Leghorn. Not as many people have hear the name Austra White. I don't own anymore crossbreeds. I now breed pure Black Australorps. Sometimes crossbreeds are better than one of the original breeds. Austra Whites are supposedly not as flighty as the White Leghorn.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens.

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

8. Chang1993

Chang1993 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't understand why some people say mutt chickens are ugly, but somehow I say it's very pretty when you crossbred two different types of chickens. Just get into crossbreeding your chickens. Here's my F1 Frizzle Gold Laced Polish x Thai cockerel.

[​IMG]

I also have some other chickens to show.
    Looking into my posting, Chang1993.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  9. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey welcome to BYC. I can't help you with those funky looking chickens ^ but I just wanted to say hi. Cya around :)

10. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by