1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mutts

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Haviris, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    So this is our current resident mutt, Storm, her mom was a hound (Can't tell by looking can you?) and her dad was an australian shepherd (more obvious). She is a chicken killer, but other then that she's a great girl, very sweet and absolutely loves kids! Is she healthier then a purebred? Not really, she's got hip problems, so I'd say she'd be prone to whatever her parent breeds would be prone to.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think I've always owned mutts right along with purebreds. My last mutt was a weim/lab cross, he was another great dog! Alittle on the hyper side, but a very fun dog.

If I deside I want a dog and I'm very specific about what I'm looking for (and don't already have a breed in mind), then I will research breeds until I find the one that meets my criteria, on the other hand if I'm looking for a dog and alittle more open about what I'm looking for I will be searching pounds and shelters until I found one that suited my needs, yes most likely a mix, although if it was a purebred that tickled my fancy I wouldn't pass it by either. I was scanning petfinder yesterday and found an adorable litter of husky mixes and if I could have another dog right now I'd be putting in an application for the black male!

Now I also don't think that just because it is a purebred it should be bred, all my dogs are spayed/neutered, and most purebred dogs currently out there should be, way more then are! At this point in time I would not be breeding any dogs, or cats, or horses!

Wow, long post, so anyway here is a good threat to post pics of all the mutts here! So let's see them, show off those mutts! Current Storm is the only none purebred living here, but here is my dad's pup Annie! She's 1/2 Great Pyrenees, 1/4 lab, and 1/4 mystery dog (I was thinking possibly australian shepherd),
    [​IMG]
    My sister in law and her family have this pup's sister, Ally, I don't have a pic on this computer, she's more white with cream colored spots! Otherwise they look very much alike!

Edited by CarriBrown. This post was edited because it broke the following rules:
    * If a topic is closed or removed do not, under any circumstances, re-post the same topic or material.

4. No Trolling (posting to provoke others, luring them to flame or rant).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  2. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    This is Alexis (aka Muttface) She is American Eskimo/husky
    [​IMG]

This is Lucy (aka Goober) She is Doxie?????
    [​IMG]

This is Tonka (aka Badonkadonk) He is 50% wolf/25% husky/ 25% white shepard
    [​IMG]

And this is JoJo (aka Moose) She is 100% pain in the behind!
    [​IMG]

Steph

3. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    I've got some pics like that! What is it about kids and dog crates? I especially like Alexis, she's gorgeous!

4. CarolinaGirl

CarolinaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    I have some wonderful mutts. Plus a few purebreds that were rescues... but here are 3 of my babies from my "Muttley Crew" as I call them. I'll upload pictures of my other mutts later.

Megan, as a pup... no recent pics on this computer. Parents are unknown. She's got some yorkie in her but she's well over 15 lbs. Possibly poodle. Who knows.
    [​IMG]

Spunky, a chihuahua/jack russell terrier mix and a complete terror [​IMG] Not shown in the picture but the hair down the back of her neck sticks straight up like a mohawk.
    [​IMG]

This is Abigail, my border collie mix. Her sister looks exactly like a border while Abby looks like she may have some retriever in her. Really old photo so excuse her coat, she's much sleeker since she's on her good food now!
    [​IMG]

Editted: Okay, the photos aren't working. Could be photobucket. I'll check back tomorrow and fix the links if it's not photobucket [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  5. Sparklecoon

Sparklecoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Haviris, I agree with everything your saying. I'll leave it at that:D

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    This is Chewie our 5 month old Greater Swiss Mountain Dog mix. No idea what he is mixed with:

[​IMG]

Here is Oreo our new (last week) 5 month old Pit mix:
    [​IMG]

And here are the two of them together:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I agree completely. All of these mutts are just too adorable

Here is my rescue mutt. Freddie was dropped off at the shelter when he was 12wks old and stayed there for a year and half. He was a litter of black lab cross puppies, probably border collie by his markings. He would not hunt and is terrified by guns so his owners didnt want him either. He was looked over for a year and half because he was a black lab cross.

He is adorable and very loving. He never leaves my side, ever. I cant go pee with out him sitting in front of me. (talk about no privacy)[​IMG] I wouldnt trade him for anything, he is my pal. He is good to my doxies, my cats and even my guineas...we may have to work on the chickens
    [​IMG]

The Humane Society was full of dogs and cats! Some were purebreeds and some were mutts. They were all victims of too many litters and too many people taking in a "Free" puppy to decide later on, it was not a good idea, or they didnt have time, excuse after excuse after excuse.

I have seven cats that all were homeless due to constanty breeding. Spaying and Neutering is part of being a responsible pet owner.

8. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

that is great,
    I have two pure breed labs,
    one pure chocolate and the other is a mix of chocolate and black lab,
    The black on is the daughter of my chocolate male lab,

I'm not trying to put this in a bad way,
    Im more of a pure breed person,
    There, I put it in a nice way,

9. texasreb

texasreb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    I currently only have purebred dogs, but one was a rescue.

I like all dogs including mutts and mixes, so I'm no dog snob.

I just wanted to add that there is no such thing as hybrid vigor when it comes to dogs. Dogs are dogs, they are all the same species, Canis familiaris. In order to create a hybrid, one needs to cross two different species (a donkey and a horse; a lion and a tiger; a horse and a zebra, etc).

Another example would be humans. We are all the same species, but with different attributes. If we produce mixed race children, the children are not hybrids, but mixed race and very much still human. Big difference. Now if we were to breed with say, gorillas....

10. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    * If a topic is closed or removed do not, under any circumstances, re-post the same topic or material. If you have any questions as to why a thread was closed or removed please contact a BYC staff member.

The rules are clearly posted at the top of the page. Read them.

I don't know why people insist on starting threads just to provoke others. That is also another rule:
    4. No Trolling (posting to provoke others, luring them to flame or rant).

Anyone can tell that this thread was started to lure others into continuing yesterday's argument.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by