muzzleloaders

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tdgill, Jun 6, 2011.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

could a ball from a muzzleloader actually travel 450 yards and end up in a tree 20 ft. up from the ground???????

2. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Yes and yes LOL!

More explaination please!

3. tdgill

I don't have enough info at present. Just a question that was presented to me. Just seems implausible. Someone is trying to get someone in trouble....

4. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Most assuredly it can. A muzzleloader projectile would still be deadly at well over a mile.

5. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    yes for sure.

6. tdgill

wow a mile? Under what circumstances? If you shot it straight up into the air it could travel a mile up and a mile back down and be TWO miles...lol. But in this scenario I doubt that the ball could have been fired at a target 4 feet high and end up in a tree 450yds away at 20 feet high....do you?

7. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    if he missed the target completely

8. Two Creeks Farm

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Rifled muzzleloaders from the civil war era could kill at ranges further then that,rare, but recorded. Modern muzzleloaders are fully capable of 200 yard lethality on deer.. Alot depends on the angle of the shot. 450 yards is not that far in terms of a bullet, especially if fired at an upwards angle, or if the terrain falls away from the point of the shot.

9. Two Creeks Farm

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Quote:You know the distance, get the weight of bullet and type, powder charge used and barrel length and you can get real close to the actual trajectory. With a normal load, 25 inch drop at 200 yards with a 100 yard zero would be expected with say a 400 grain bullet. Use a modern bullet of 250 grains, 150 grain charge and you are only 11 inches low at 200 yards with a 100 yard zero..approx.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  10. tdgill

gotcha guys Thanks! good analytical thinking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by