My $1.35 incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rainstorm, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    I was doing an experiment of making a Cardboard box incubator using my own eggs (bantam and Ducks) 9 out of 10 eggs is still alive and active, its day 11 and 12 for them. I had temps go all the up to 110 twice for a whole day and once for a few hours, and many times to 105-7, tonight was when I candled em so yes they are still alive, I had put many of my own eggs in my LG before and only about 10% had developed but died about halfway through. Right now I have 2 duck eggs forming in my LG out of a bunch. 2 - 9? I LOVE my boxabator! Anyway just thought id post pics and stuff I used to make it. Also the cardboard railing in the bottom was so the eggs wouldnt go under the lightbulb where its hottest. so in all it could hold 10 eggs, or a few more if you put around the front of the railing to but I only put on the sides, These are before I put my eggs in.

Materials

Picture frame glass
    Box with Lid.
    Tin Foil
    25 watt bulb
    1 Disk light (the lights with silver bowls)

All in all I only spent $1.35 on a pack of 25 watt bulbs. Had the rest, welll... I didnt have a picture frame glass so I just took the clear part off a CD case and used it [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excuse the dirty box. Only one I could find around here or anywhere for that matter that has a Lid [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] GOOD LUCK! with the hatch, and pictures when they do!! [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have requested that this be moved to the hatching forum. You will get MUCH more information if this is in the right place!!! Good luck!!!

4. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:Oops [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Oops [​IMG]

I am sure its not a problem!!! LOL!

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Wont the cardboard fall apart due to moisture I would test that first. I work were we use boxes every day and in the summer they dont hold up as well due to humidity just a thought dont want to brust anyones bubble.

7. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:Probly true, But so far it isnt hurting it, and its not something im going to use 24/7, Just something I wanted to try to see if I could make it work

8. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    If the box doesn't hold up well, you could replace it with one of those disposable styrofoam coolers you can get at grocery stores. They're cheap and will hold heat better than cardboard. Do you not have any way of keeping the temperature stable? I would think it could easily overheat in there.

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    To maintain the temps I would suggest finding another box to set the box in. It creates a layer of warm air in between the walls of the boxes that insulates from heat escaping.

10. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    lol that looks like somebodey better have some marshellows ready for the fire hope it dosnt cach though:fl:fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by