1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My 1 day old Aylesbury Duckling has a curled in foot & backwards leg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by anp, Jun 17, 2011.

1. anp

anp Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Hello. I had 3 Aylesbury ducklings hatch yesterday and 1 of them has a gimp leg:/. I read in some of the other posts on this site to wait a day and see if it straightens out and it didn't so I put a "boot" on the foot with bandaids and cardboard (as suggested by users here). So I did that to try to uncurl it and the boot is on there now and he seems fine and is asleep (I think the process of putting that on wore him out lol. However, his/her leg is bent around the wrong way!??! When I put the leg how it naturally goes, the foot is upsidedown!?!??! It will not naturally go the way it should and I don't want to hurt the little guy/girl:(. Is there any way to help this? Please help!!!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Poor little guy... I have had Runners hatch with a similar sounding issue. With mine it was the hip that was the problem It was much more easy to see this when they were fully grown. I found that getting the foot flat so they could walk was the first thing to concentrate on. I spent as much time as I could holding the ducklings as well- to try and hold it in the right position. While it has the boot on- its important to make sure it can eat and drink- you may need to hold it near the food and water if it cant move around too well on its own.

[​IMG] Sorry your first post wasnt a happier one- but you will find plenty of information and helpful people on here to give advise on how you can help your little one.

3. anp

anp Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Thank you. I need all the help I can get. I am new at this. I have a hard time even knowing which way the leg is supposed to go! lol I think holding him a lot(in the correct position) is a really good idea. Thank you for your help. Any other suggestions are very much appreciated. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by