my 1 hen has been laying for

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Queen Scoot, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    about 4 days now( she is the only 1 out of 6 laying at the moment)
    i was wondering when will the others lay and if her eggs will get bigger??
    they are 16 weeks old and are production reds.

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Count yourself lucky that she's laying at 16 weeks! 20 weeks is more typical. Lucky you! I can't wait for mine to start laying.

3. Grass

Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Salem,Ohio
    mine are the same just now starting to get bigger wattles and combs turning red...cant wait til i get my first eggs.15weeks old right now

4. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Congratulations! I hear ya, though, I'm waiting for the rest of my hens to lay. I have 1 barred rock that started laying a week ago (19 weeks), but none of the other 13 hens have started. The other girls are very curious about the hen that is laying and peek into her nest when she is working on an egg. Today the rooster brought one of the speckled sussex up and she checked out the nest, so I assume she may be the next to produce an egg. [​IMG]

5. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:You mean Rhode Island Reds ?

I have 3 RIR's that are laying an egg a day .

I have 3 that are about 4 months maybe 4 1/2
    that are NOT laying yet . Their combs are starting to get a bit bigger and changing color.

I have 1 hen that is an Old English Game bantam that was laying 1 egg a day then decided to GO BROODY . Finally got out of that stage . BUT its been 4 or 5 weeks and HAS NOT started laying again YET . I have no idea what her problem is .

then , I have 28 Teens that are about 14 - 16 weeks old . SO TALK ABOUT A PLAYING AND WAITING GAME in the egg department .

I know when they 1st. start laying , they are NOT regular . and as they get on regular pattern , eggs do get larger .... SO , we ALL in the same boat .

ANY suggestions on my Ole English Game bantam that is NOT laying ?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  6. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    Quote:You mean Rhode Island Reds ?

I have 3 RIR's that are laying an egg a day .

I have 3 that are about 4 months maybe 4 1/2
    that are NOT laying yet . Their combs are starting to get a bit bigger and changing color.

I have 1 hen that is an Old English Game bantam that was laying 1 egg a day then decided to GO BROODY . Finally got out of that stage . BUT its been 4 or 5 weeks and HAS NOT started laying again YET . I have no idea what her problem is .

then , I have 28 Teens that are about 14 - 16 weeks old . SO TALK ABOUT A PLAYING AND WAITING GAME in the egg department .

I know when they 1st. start laying , they are NOT regular . and as they get on regular pattern , eggs do get larger .... SO , we ALL in the same boat .

ANY suggestions on my Ole English Game bantam that is NOT laying ?

no,they are production reds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by