MY 1 week Buff orphs question about treats and grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tn chick, Apr 21, 2009.

1. tn chick

tn chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008
    SW Tennessee
    okay i have a question i would like to give treats like veggies or something else not real sure yet what. when i start giving them treats i need to add grit?
    i was told at co-op that i just sprinkle the grit ,cant sprinkle as im using the mason jar feeders so do i just add some grit in bottle of brooder.
    never thought baby chicks could be so much fun.
    [​IMG]

2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    I put the chick grit in a small crock bowl at first. When they graduated to the larger grit and in size, we used a metal rabbit feeder that has a hopper on it and put it on bricks as they grew to keep them from pooping in it.
    I have always kept grit available since day one. Adjusting the size of the grit as they matured.
    I started out with yogurt and scrambled egg as treats, then added cooked oatmeal.
    I didn't give them much in the way of fruits or veggies until they were feathered out and their digestive tracts were a bit more mature. I was paranoid of them getting diarrhea I guess!
    After they got their feathers I'd give a very small amount and watch for pasting and if they were okay, I'd give treats every week.
    Wanted them to get balanced nutrition and eat their starter so I didn't do it too often as chicks.

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    angel is right,you don't want to give treats or grit just yet. Wait until they are a few weeks old. Even on starter they can get pasty butt so keep an eye on them. congrats on the chicks!

4. tn chick

tn chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008
    SW Tennessee
    thx a bunch i wanted to give treats to get them liking me more haha if thats possible but there doing so well i worry i guess im a worry chickie mom.
    forgot i do check there butts all the time they look at me like im the butt inspector screaming if i were a chick im sure there saying oh no run hide your butt here she comes again give it i only check butts once a day.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    [​IMG]

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I gave mine grit in the top of a jar lid. At first it was more fun than the food, then they decided to sleep in it, now it's just boring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by