My 1 week old chicks are pooping alot more!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by noodleman, Apr 15, 2009.

1. noodleman

noodleman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    What's the easiest way to clean up their poop out of their cage? I've cleaned the cage completely out, and they're going more than before, how can I clean it a little easier than with toilet paper? Any suggestion's?

2. sunnibunny99

sunnibunny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    East Texas! :)
    Well...

I used to use pine shavings and they worked well... Its a box so I just put pine on the bottom of the box and when it gets bad I'd just scoop it up! [​IMG]

About your problem.. I don't know about that... I've never used a cage!

3. deerhunterblp

deerhunterblp Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Batesville, Arkansas
    I use hay...or you could always cut the grass in your yard and put a lil in.

4. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    I just lay down another inch or so of pine shavings whenever it starts getting yucky...

That way you only have to clean out their brooder/coop every few weeks or months.

5. chicklips

chicklips Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    I scoop and turn mine every day and replace bedding when needed. My husband just gave me the idea of using rubberized mulch. It cost a lot but you can hose it down, and you can soak it in beach water between batches. We do meat chickens so we will do 2-3 batches a year. It pays for it's self after a while.

6. cluckylisa

cluckylisa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Central Minnesota
    Quote:That sounds great, Im interested to see how well it works!

7. azrc

azrc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Phoenix
    I just have a big rubbermaid bucket filled with straw. I let them run around the yard during the day and scoop off the top 1" or so (the top layer is all stuck together) and throw it away.

The straw level drops about as fast as they grow, so I think they always have about the same amount of headroom during the night. [​IMG]

8. Giddyup

Giddyup Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    [​IMG] I'm in the same boat, mine are a week today. Forgot the poop would get bigger as they did, darn it!

I have pine shavings...I have a bucket and large spoon that we pick things out once or twice a day.

If I think it's just too much I get my cat box scoop and shovel most of it out and add new bedding. That part is easy as I have to have it on hand for the horses anyway, and the chicks use a lot less!

[​IMG]

9. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    we used a larger rubbermaid tub (had to upgrade to the dog kennel now though) and put the wood shavings 2-3 inches deep and you go in there every day or every 2 days and turn it, and up comes fresh shavings. also when they dust bathe in it, that helps turn in over too. we change the shavings on saturdays or sundays each week (we have 4 weekers so we needed more frequent cleanings) and haul it down to the compost pile.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Most people here start ot with paper towels over pine shavings. You don't need the paper towels after a few days, or a week.

Some sort of litter will definitely help: pine shavings, dry leaves, straw, hay, shredded paper, whatever. Pine shavings are nice because you can stir them around and the pine odor cuts down on odor. To some extent, you can just add things like pine shavings and decrease the odor. I added pine shavings in the brooder til I moved them to the coop.

There are products designed for places like horse stalls that will also help. You can add lime (NEVER hydrated lime) that will also help. Baking soda helps, but gets expensive real quick. Never use cedar.

I'd be planning to move them outdoors real soon if they are inside and the odor is already a problem.

Chickens poop a lot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by