My 1 year old Bantam rooster cant walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TAARON, Aug 2, 2014.

1. TAARON

TAARON New Egg

Aug 2, 2014
    Southeast Missouri
    he seems to lost his balance.he falls forward and runs or falls over.hes been like this since yesterday .he stays in the house as a pet .he is eating good when i hold him in my lap but wont drink any water.he always drinks a lot of water.his crow sounds a little weak.PLEASE HELP THIS LITTLE GUY IS A PART OF MY FAMILY

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's possible that it could be Mareks disease or that he is dehydrated from not drinking. Does he have a weak or paralyzed leg or wing, or do he try to balance with his wings? I would start him on vitamins and electrolytes (SaveAChick) in the water right away, and dip his beak into the water to several times and hour every hour. Offer him some scrambled egg. Did he have the Mareks vaccine? Here is some info on Mareks, and be aware that there are different forms of the disease, and not every chicken has all or the same symptoms: http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

3. TAARON

TAARON New Egg

Aug 2, 2014
    Southeast Missouri
    he does try to balance using his wings.no he hasnt had vaccine.hes used to drinking from a cup with me holding him so ive been using a sraw to put drops of water in his mouth.i made a short video but having trouble getting it to upload.i will keep trying and read info u suggested

4. TAARON

TAARON New Egg

Aug 2, 2014
    Southeast Missouri
    my little rooster is about the same.he is eating good and now he is also drinking,i got the SaveAChick for him,he seems to like it better than plain water.i fixed him a support seat to help him balance while he eats and drinks.I've been working with him learning to walk again with this condition.i have faith in him and believe he'll adapt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by