My 10 month old Crested Cream Legbar Roo is pulling out his chest feathers!???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Coop de Grass, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Coop de Grass

Coop de Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 Roos that get along perfectly! and 1 3 month old roo that is working his way into the flock - he is low man on the totem pole. The older roo is a Bielefelder who is 1 year old next week. His little brother is a Crested Cream Legbar who doesn't fight with anyone, but does try to keep me in my place by pecking at the back of my knees.

I've never seen any fighting between any of the roos. They exist peacefully, which was a surprise for me. The youngest one is ignored except by the occassonal hen who chases him.

Last week I noticed a quarter sized area on the CCLs chest that was missing feathers. I will try to take a photo ASAP but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this? At the moment I have 19 laying hens, and the 2 mature roos. None of the others are showing any feather loss.

Help!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sometimes hens will pick on smaller meek roosters and pull out feathers.

Another option is he's rubbing them off on the roosts.

Have you seen him pulling his own feathers?

3. Coop de Grass

@oldhenlikesdogs I haven't seen anyone picking on him, and I haven't seen him pulling his own feathers. I didn't think to see if it was a roosting issue. I have a camera that looks at the roosts so I can check on that!

Thank you, I would never have thought of that!

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Since they rest their breasts on their feet or the roost it could be he's rubbing them off. He also could be boisterous when mating, which might also rub off feathers.

And another thought is that someone is plucking him a bit on the roosts from below trying to get him to move. Roost time can get rowdy.

5. Coop de Grass

lol! That is a funny picture! The roosts are too far apart for anyone to reach up and pull his feathers. Much more likely that he is rubbing them off against his feet! Do you think I should use anything on the area, or just leave it alone?

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Post a pic showing where bald patch is on bird.
    They may have been fighting and you just didn't see it.
    Now that spring is in the air, they may all get more aggressive.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I wouldn't worry about a few missing feathers, if they were rubbed off they won't grow back until a molt. If they were pulled out the should regrow fairly soon.

8. Coop de Grass

@aart
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I am wondering if this is a result of covering his comb and wattles with Bag Balm to fight frostbit. I have seen him with straw stuck to his wattles. Might he be pulling at the straw and getting his chest feathers instead? The only person he feels confident to attempt to attack is me! And he really is just flexing a bit. Never hurts me, just wants to let me know he is around. My Biel roo is twice his size, and has always treated him like his protege. The bigger roo is protective of the girls, but not aggressive.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Doesn't look bad...hard to say what caused it.
    Think it's up too high for a roosting rub tho.
    I'd say another bird plucked him.....might have been boy fighting or one of the girls<shrugs>who knows.

10. Coop de Grass

Quote:Yeah, I realized that his chest hits the roost where he is all puffy. It doesn't look raw. Do you recommend Bag Balm, or Petroleum jelly for frostbite? Next time I treat him I will get a better look, and a better photo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by