My 10 week old African going nuts when separated from chicken flock

WichitaKSClucks

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2015
Wichita, Kansas
I have a 10 week old African gosling raised along with 5 other 10 week old pullets. I have 3 other 6 week old pullets (Americauna, BR and a Sultan). I joined the 3 6 weeks olds last night with the other 5 older pullets to their coop. The older chickens were fine but the gosling kept nipping at them continuously so I removed the goose. At 4 AM I woke up to the goose wandering around the backyard honking and screaming because it's not with the other flock of chickens. Tried putting the goose I n a kennel and that made it worse. It's now 5 AM and I'm pulling my hair out. Thank goodness it will be daylight in an hour. The goose does fine in the backyard free ranging with the three younger chicks but once in the coop the goose is mean to them. We do not yet know the gender of the goose.

Last edited:
Birds are flocking animals. They need the companionship of other birds, preferably of their own species. You ripped the gosling away from the only flock family he has ever had to be alone and without a flock or a companion. If you want him to be happy you are going to have to provide him with a goose companion. Chickens will not cut it after a point. Putting him back with the chickens sounds like it will only result in injury or death to the chickens. While they can, and often do, coexist he really needs a companion of his own species (not necessarily African but another goose) so that he can have a normal happy life.

More goose poop?!?! Well if it makes the goose happy. Does it need to be the opposite sex? I'm not allowed to breed in the city and my permit only allows for one more goose. If I uploaded a pic of the goose do you think you could tell the gender at 10 weeks.

Nice thing about goose poop is that, like cow poop, it is great organic fertilizer. At 10 weeks it will be difficult to determine the gender but you can upload a good picture, full body and head shot, and someone here may be able to help with that. My geese were accurately gender identified online here at BYC a year ago. It does not need to be the same breed but does need to be about the same age/size so that they can adjust quickly and not injure each other. Two males or two females will work just a well. They will form a companion bond and be very happy together.

Look forward to a picture and good luck.

More goose poop?!?! Well if it makes the goose happy. Does it need to be the opposite sex? I'm not allowed to breed in the city and my permit only allows for one more goose. If I uploaded a pic of the goose do you think you could tell the gender at 10 weeks.

Both would be great. I wish they all could be together again.
You'll need to have separate housing for your geese. Just works better all way around.

and Welcome to BYC!

Here is my 10 week old African Goose if anyone can determine the sex so I can get another one of the same sex?

Last edited:
Here is my 10 week old African Goose if anyone can determine the sex so I can get another one of the same sex?

I think you should post here since most who own this breed are probably subscribed to it and will see this post faster. Looking at the second pic the face looks female but I really don't know that much about this breed other than they are beautiful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/533413/the-african-and-chinese-goose-thread/1860#post_15306936

Back
Top Bottom