My 10 week old Roo crowed!!

Marshchick

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 16, 2011
Marshfield, MA
I wasn't expecting Bruce to crow so early!! Both time wise and age wise. He's a 10 week old White Leghorn and this morning at 4:30 a.m. he let out his first crow, followed at 4:45 by another! And honestly I think he knows I'm writing about him because he just did it again!

I was expecting him to crow more around 5:30ish. What time of the morning do most folks roo's crow? I know it must vary, but just curious. And is 10 weeks early for a WL roo to crow?

I think it's neat that he's found his voice but wondering if I'm now going to be up starting at 4:30 every morning.

clap.gif

One of mine crowed at about 10 weeks, too! Shocked the bejeezes out of me because I just thought he was a big chicken! (City girl gone country...LOL) I got 4 RIR's and two others from another bin evidently marked "straight run" Those two are roosters!!!

He crowed at around 6:30. It's usually between 6 and 7am not always the same time.

Hooray for you!!!

Mine start right now at about 5:30-5:45. It's usually just a few crows until they get out of the coop to go foraging, then they are quiet.

Is it dark in your coop? That will help them to not crow until later.

My little white leghorn mix roo started crowing even before 10 weeks...maybe around 7 or 8 weeks....i like to think he is gifted and talented:)

My 6 week old seramas are crowing... it sounds pathetic but their crowing non the less!! an my 11 week old Red Pyle Old English Game Roo just started last week!! all 10 weeks I thought he was a "She" lol

my Carlos said "good morning" to me yesterday with his first big crow! he did it 3 times in a row and looked mighty proud of him self. I hope my neighbors find it as delightful as I do . I really want to be able to keep him!
yippiechickie.gif

My RIR roo started @ 12 weeks. He usually does his first crow of the day between 6am-8am. Then he waits a few hours and does it between 2pm-3pm and one last time between 6pm-8pm. It's kind of like he has a weird internal clock or something.
roll.png

Almost all of my roos start crowing between 6 and 10 weeks of age. I currently have 6 roos, they start crowing about 4am. They then continue to crow all day long. It stops around 8:30 pm when they go in for the night!

Well Bruce crowed a couple more times during the day. He seemed mighty impressed with himself as well. The inside of our coop is a bit dark, it's in the shade. So hopefully that will help make it later. I can't wait until tomorrow morning to see when he crows!

Back
Top Bottom