my 10 wk old houdans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ccshambhala, Aug 7, 2011.

1. ccshambhala

ccshambhala Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    They are so cute and sweet [​IMG] - I just don't understand why they aren't more popular [​IMG]

i think i have a boy and a girl! (their feathering looks the same to me still @ 10 wks - but their crests look boyish/girlish)

boy:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

girl:
    [​IMG]

(I actually trimmed some of her crest the other day cuz I was worried she? couldn't see)

(these are from Ideal (Hatchery))

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    they are cute! don't give me any ideas, i shouldn't get any more chickens.

3. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

I just ordered one of these from Ideal, should be here at the end of the week. Now I wish I had ordered more than one [​IMG] Now I really can't wait till it gets here!

4. ccshambhala

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    scratch n'peck - thank you! what's one more (just kidding of course) [​IMG]

yoie - oooohhh I am excited for you too - I hope you post pics [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  5. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Beautiful birds. I think you are right a pullet and a roo. I tried to order these this spring but they were not available. Maybe next year. Are they vocal? Are they flighty?

6. crazypetlady

crazypetlady Chillin' With My Peeps

My MH trio just laid their 1st egg!!! I can't wait to get enough to hatch!!

7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Well, they both look like hens to me. I don't see any wattles on either but I suppose it could be too early. Also does that one in the first 2 pictures have one foot with only 3 toes?

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Must buy chickens with top knots..........

9. ccshambhala

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    thank you Elphaba2140 - I am still hoping for two girls - but I don't think I have em [​IMG] mine are still in the peeping phase - so I don't know how vocal they will be - but they are the first of the babies to run up to us and love attention [​IMG] and they get a lot of it - they have definitely worked their way into my fav status with the fam - and we have baby brabanters (crested) and cochins (a fam fav breed) too so that is saying something!

I'm excited for you too crazypetlady - are they hatchery or breeder stock? how has your experience been? I've been wanting houdans for awhile but they were hard for me to get.... I would love to see pics [​IMG]

becky3086 - it sure looks like it in the pic doesn't it - the angle must be just right - but no both birds have 10 toes. I don't really see wattles either - but the one has just a lil more redness.....

theoldchick - yes, i love them even more than I was expecting - they remind me of a dr seuss book - which is just too fun for words [​IMG]

10. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    beautiful! I wish I had room for more chickens! I think you are right on the genders, the first one definitely has a roo-ish crest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by