My 115$ Chicken Tractor - *Pics*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Connorrm, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Well here is my 1st shot at a chicken tractor using all my recycled materials from around the house/garage. It's 6.5 x 9ft x 2ft. The "shelter" area is just some freebie coroplast I had laying around with a wooden frame underneath. The seams were caulked together to prevent leaks and it was nailed down (with caulk over the nails). The enclosed space is 6.5ft x 3ft x 2ft.

I had a ton of old 2x4s laying around in the various lengths so I started screwing them together without much of an idea. It still needs some work (and some extra screws). I plan on covering the ENTIRE tractor in hardware cloth to keep all the critters at bay. You can see my nephew (free labor!) working on it. When I snapped the pic he was like, "Is that going on those darn chicken forums I always see on your computer?".

OF COURSE!

Anyway, hoping to use it for my meaties towards the end of the summer, and I'm also hoping to put my girls in it during nice days from now till then. What do you all think?

Also, does anyone know how many it will hold to butcher weight? Any feed back would be great as well....but I think I got a good start for a 2 hour project!

From the side:
    [​IMG]

From standing behind it:

[​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Looks good!! Good job! [​IMG]

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Well! [​IMG]

4. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Quote:well what?

>.>

So confused!

5. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Does anyone know how many this would hold assuming Cornish X and them being butchered by 6-7 weeks?

6. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Quote:6x6x2 -- I think you said were the dimensions. When stacked like cord wood, I think you can get close to 100 birds in there.

7. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    6.5 wide x 9 feet long x 2 ft. tall.

The enclosed covered area is 6.5 x 3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by