My $12.00 coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ExeterNH, Sep 16, 2009.

1. ExeterNH

ExeterNH New Egg

Sep 16, 2009
    Hello, I am new to this board and just wanted to introduce myself and my girls and their home. I have a small backyard in with a small side space next to the house. The previous owner had a dog and left this old doghouse in the side area of the house. I turned it into a playhouse for my daughters but they were never really interested, so I converted into a small coop and got some hearty layers instead.

I used plywood that I had laying around and old materials. It was all done for a few bucks and it works fine for our 6 girls (two New Hampshires, one RIR, one Black Cochin, one Americauna, one Silkie).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its not the Taj Mahal, but the hens are very happy.

[​IMG]

Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  2. Bladerunner

Bladerunner Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2009
    Cute!

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    good deal:thumbsup

4. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    [​IMG]

i live a few towns/cities over from you! welcome to chickendom!

nice coop and cute kids!

5. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    Very cozy looking! You could rotate in some chicken-friendly potted flowers or vegetables for your hens to pick for bugs in. I like it, I like it! [​IMG]

6. ExeterNH

ExeterNH New Egg

Sep 16, 2009
    Thank you! This is just the little run area that leads to the open backyard. They free range all day in our yard which is about 20x20 with ample cover and bushes.

7. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Wow--$12??? [​IMG] Looks nice darn nice for $12!!! My only thought is the ladder to the upper roost is too steep for the chickesn to use.

8. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Thats what Im talking about~~~How we can make coops for our babies and the cheaper...or should I sa cost effective...the better...way to go and congrats~!!!

WELCOME TO OUR MADDNESS!!!!! your never going back ...into the other zone...
    Question....is that top roost alittle to high for your babies?....notice they are small, can they get up there?...and can they walk up your ramp? Just curious...I have all size babies and new to that, so wondering.

9. ExeterNH

ExeterNH New Egg

Sep 16, 2009
    Thanks for the compliment! I put in two roosts to see which they would prefer, and of course they like the higher one. What they do is walk up the ramp while fluttering their wings and then just get on the roost. In the morning they just jump down.

I don't have a lot of room for turns in the ramp or for anything else for that matter but they are up there every night. It might be more work for them to get up there but they seem to be doing it. Do you think I should add another flight of stairs down to add a turn for them? Not sure how to fix this.

All the wood you see in there came from my shed or from old projects. The waterer and feeder came from a Craigslist ad for $2.50 a piece. The hinges were the most expensive item you see.

10. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Very good job [​IMG] Nice to see someone recycling something not in use! Looks like the kids love the chickens too! Very sweet! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by