My 12 week old chicks are pushed out of coop at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 8wishbonechicks, Nov 9, 2009.

1. 8wishbonechicks

8wishbonechicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2009
    I need advice on how to get my 2 year old RIR hen to accept my four 12 week old Wyandotte hens in the coop at nightfall. In the beginning I had the babies quarantined in their own pen as my 2 year old RIR free ranged around them. A week ago I introduced them together. Everything seemed fine until I realized the 12 week old chicks are scared [​IMG] of her so they sleep outside in a corner of their run fence. Winter is coming and I don't know if I need to build a new coop or is there another way to get them accepted by the hen. Now we have to put them together at nightfall and close the coop door. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you. --LaWanna

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    I have successfully merged three flocks now... and this is what works best for me.....
    I keep newbies in cage inside yard ( just like you allowing RIR to free range all around them) and then I put the newbies CAGE and all in the coop at night for 2 or 3 nights.... I keep them in the cage in the yard for a total of 5-7 days --- first half of that time the cage goes in coop at night cage and birds.... last half I take out the newbies after sundown and place them in the coop... and lock them in.. if it is DARK no one messes with them.... I let them out first thing in the morning and put them back in their cage in the middle of the yard ..... and again put them in coop at night..

After a week of this.... I make sure that they have a partial fence laying around or something to escape big birds if they need it.. I put some of their food back there too... leave small opening that are not big enough for larger hens...

and let everyone be free... I still have to help the new ones learn how to go in at night.... but I have had hardly any issues doing it this way. Currently I am reintroducing recooperating fowl pox chicken to the flock AND also merging the eight 7 weekers in at the same time and this is working great! Good Luck

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I would just continue with what you're doing. They'll all get used to the routine eventually. I had two dark brahmas who would roost in a tree every night. Believe me, it got old fast getting those two down and in the coop every night!! But, after a couple of weeks, they finally started going in on their own. Oh, and [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  4. 8wishbonechicks

Oct 24, 2009
    Thank you, Bedste and Birdlover. I'll give it a try. During the day they get along.It's just at nightfall when "Henny" gets pushy. We've been putting them together for a couple of days now, when there is no light to see each other. Hopefully they will get used to each other soon. Thank you for the fast response. [​IMG]

5. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Easiest thing I have found is to take everyone out of the coop, put the new birds in and then the old birds

6. 8wishbonechicks

Oct 24, 2009
    Thank you everyone for your advice. My wyandotte pullets now go in their coop at night with Henny after putting them together for a week. Yay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by