My 12x20 shed converted to coop - work in process.

kayla_sayswa

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
Western Wisconsin
I finally got the
thumbsup.gif
from my husband to convert our yard barn into a chicken coop. It's a 12x20 gambrel roof from Menards. I originally had rabbits in it, but the rabbits are gone so it's now going to be my coop. My coop section with be half the buidling, or 8x12.

The barn already has electric, a kick butt agriculture exhaust fan, and glass board (I think that's what it's called) on the walls for easy cleanup. It's fully insulated. I plan to add a screen door to the front for more ventilation.

Here's a picture of the building: (exhaust fan is not in this older picture of the barn)

48806_rabbits_178.jpg

Here's a view from the deck of my house, looking down towards my yard barn and our horse shelter (we don't have horses, but we are getting goats and are also trying to get a new fence put up). The little building in front of the horse shelter is getting moved and will be my new banty coop. I love to sit on my deck and dream about what to do with my little "barnyard".
ya.gif

48806_dsc_0222.jpg

Back to the conversion:
Here's a view from the people door to the back of the shed. My mom and I are NOT carpenters but we're willing to give it a go, scratching our heads quite a bit. We rolled up the rollup door in the back (hubby said NO it cannot be dismantled) and are building a wall to enclose it. In this new "wall", we planned for a window, a pop door, and a clean out hatch.
48806_dsc_0203.jpg

Here's the wall put in place. I can see we probably should have added another support for under the window, but once we get the plywood put on it should be okay. Too hard to add it now.
48806_dsc_0209.jpg

Here's the window we bought (I splurged - it's a utility window from Menards and cost $69). I am now wondering if the silly chickens will try to sit on the window when I have it open. If so, I'll have to figure out a way to prevent that from happening.
48806_dsc_0211.jpg

Yet to do:
1) enclose the back wall with insulation and build the clean out door.
2) interior dividing wall with integrated nest box and feeder,
3) roosts with poop shelf
4) find some vinyl on sale for the floor.
5) build the run

That's as far as we got yesterday. If it would STOP RAINING we'd be farther along. Any suggestions are always welcome as I may not have thought of something.

Last edited:
Wow! Looks great so far! Your chickens are going to love their new home.
Any idea how many chickens & what kind you are going to get yet?
I hear you on the rain. And the cold, at least in this part of the state. I'm ready for spring already.
smile.png

Quote:
Unfortunately, this kind of window isn't designed for that (like a casement window) and the wind would damage it. I will figure something out, I"m sure.

Quote:
I think what I love the most about this coop is that it's my mom and I working together on it. What fun....she's retired and I like to keep her busy.
hugs.gif

I have a mixture - some Wheaton Ameracauna's, Light Brahmas, Birchen Cochins, Wyandottes, a some Marans, and whatever else I buy on a whim. Right now I have 2 standards and 2 banty adults and the rest are chicks. I tend to buy lots of chicks or hatching eggs, grow them up, pick my favorites, and sell the rest on craigslist. I'm planning for 25 at the most in this coop.

I don't think spring will ever be here.

Okay, lunch is over and it's back to work I go!!

I can understand that about you & your mom. Everything is just better when mom can lend a helping hand, or even an ear. I love to do canning, and last fall, my mom helped me cut up some of my peppers & tomatoes & fill the jars. After awhile, she was just sitting there staring with a very pleased smile on her face. When I asked her why, she told me that my grandmother would have been very proud of me, for she loved to can also, and my mother used to help her too.
smile.png

Sounds like you have quite the flock!
I don't think spring will ever get here either. This weather isn't even for the birds.
roll.png

Good luck to you & your mom! You'll have to post more pics as you go.

42 Degrees and misting rain all day makes for a chilly day of coop building!

Mom and I finished the back wall. We covered the outside with exterior grade plywood and the interior was a sheet of CDX and a sheet of OSB we had left over from another project.

48806_may_2011_227.jpg

Before I added the interior & exterior plywood, I wrapped the pop door with flashing, in hopes to keep this highly traveled space free of mites, rot, and splinters. Not the best picture here, but I think you get the idea.

48806_may_2011_229.jpg

We still have to construct the clean out door and add hinges - but we wanted to get going on the interior wall, which we did get framed up. Before we go any further with that wall, we have to design our integrated nestboxes. We are going to repurpose this TV stand that I bought for $3 as it is the exact width I need. I plan to make it into a 6-hole nest box and the white dishpans will fit snugly into each hole, allowing me to pull them out to clean anytime I need to. We'll access the nestbox from outside the coop.

48806_coop_build_001.jpg

I hear it's going to be 60 and sunny tomorrow!
ya.gif

Setting my alarm now so I can get up and buy some more supplies.

Quote:
Well, the sun was shining but man that wind sure was cold! I started my day with a trip to Menards to pick up some hardware cloth, screws, hinges, a couple 2x4 joist hangers, and coffee! My mom was already working when I got home and she had the back exterior wall primed. I'll paint it the same tan color as the shed so hopefully it blends with the siding better.

48806_dsc_0012.jpg

We spent the rest of the day getting the nestboxes and door built. Boy, that sure makes it seem like we hardly did anything but it sure took us a long time! The nestboxes are a challenge - moreso because we reused an old TV stand and wanted to have the dish pans fit perfectly snug in each hole. But..it's almost done. We still have to build the back enclosure for it which will have lift up doors so I can gather eggs without going in the coop. We made the door and got it hung and then framed in where the roost and poop board will go.

Mom's heading home tomorrow...
hit.gif
. She's an amazing woman and I'm so lucky to have her! We were laughing so hard after she cut something 1/2 inch too short, so I took over - and cut the board an inch too short. We started giggling, which made her ..um...toot...(which she NEVER does!)and then we were belly laughing so hard tears were streaming. Nothing beats a belly laugh!!

Here's a view of the nestboxes and door. My shed is still full of feed and a brooder so it's been a challenge working around everything. I need to buy two more dishpans and also sand and paint it, too.

View from inside coop:
48806_dsc_0013.jpg

View from storage/entry area into coop:
48806_dsc_0016.jpg

Back
Top Bottom