My 13 month old Buff Orpington only lays "fairy" eggs! Pics included.

Lynnschickens

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2015
In the last rew weeks, my Buff Orpington has been laying tiny fairy eggs. She has always pretended to be a normal layer. She goes and sits in the nesting box for a long time. She comes out and sings the egg song, but never an egg. In the last few weeks, she has laid these. Most are round. My other chickens, including her harch mate, lays normally.

Has any one experienced this?

I have had hens lay the occasional 'fart' egg especially towards the end of a laying cycle, but have never had one that did so routinely.
ep.gif

While occasional and isolated fairy eggs are normal occurrences, regularly laying these tiny eggs is not.

It's not possible to say what's causing this, but something is "off" in this chicken's plumbing. Could be as simple as chronic stress, or it could be as serious as cancer. A vet exam would tell you more.

Barring that, I would make sure she's not experiencing stressful conditions and hope this passes and she resumes laying normal eggs in time.

I agree about the plumbing. She is my friendliest chicken. Not the highest in pecking order but no other chickens bother her. She's like the cool aunt to new chicks also. Its crazy. Heres a pic. Her comb is much larger now!

Sounds like her ovary is not functioning well enough to grow and release a viable, mature ova.
Something is making it's way down the 'pipe', a piece of tissue or a totally immature ova, or the albumen, membrane, and shell parts wouldn't happen.
That's how fairy/fart/rooster eggs happen....usually as a one off or once in a great while.
Bummer...kind of amusing, but not really....to have a 'barren' chicken.

I know. I guess I'll just have to deal with it and see what happens. She is such a good chicken besides that. To look at her,you would think she lays huge eggs!

I know. I guess I'll just have to deal with it and see what happens. She is such a good chicken besides that. To look at her,you would think she lays huge eggs!
Well, if you like having pet chicken she might be just fine in the long term.
I would sell her as a pet with her lovely demeanor, like I did with my sweet (but lousy laying and big eaters) light brahma girls.

Back
Top Bottom