My 13 week old chicks are dying

ChickenTender20

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2020
In May I purchased 11 chicks; 6 from one hatchery on May 18 (day old) and 5 from another on May 24 (also day old).

I raised them on medicated chick starter and they were thriving. At 8 weeks old I integrated them successfully into my large coop.

They were still eating some chick starter as well as layer ration. I also feed them organic fruit and vegetables as well as letting them out to eat grass, chickweed and dandelion. Everything was going well until a couple weeks ago when I was checking them that a few were not gaining any weight. They were basically skin and bones. A trip to the vet did not result in any results as to why this is happening.

I lost one at the vet last Friday. Another one Tuesday, one yesterday and another one is dying today =( I am beyond devastated and have no answers as to why this is happening. I was even feeding them some wheat from the feed store with buttermilk hoping they would bounce back, but no luck. All 4 are from the same hatchery. I have messaged them to see if they have had anything similar happening with any other birds.

Has anyone heard of this? And do they have any suggestions on supplements, feed, vitamins, etc. I'm beyond desperate at this point.

They could have worms, which would explain the lack of weight. Do they have any other symptoms? Are they lethargic, are they refusing to eat or drink? How do their poops look?

In May I purchased 11 chicks; 6 from one hatchery on May 18 (day old) and 5 from another on May 24 (also day old).

I raised them on medicated chick starter and they were thriving. At 8 weeks old I integrated them successfully into my large coop.

They were still eating some chick starter as well as layer ration. I also feed them organic fruit and vegetables as well as letting them out to eat grass, chickweed and dandelion. Everything was going well until a couple weeks ago when I was checking them that a few were not gaining any weight. They were basically skin and bones. A trip to the vet did not result in any results as to why this is happening.

I lost one at the vet last Friday. Another one Tuesday, one yesterday and another one is dying today =( I am beyond devastated and have no answers as to why this is happening. I was even feeding them some wheat from the feed store with buttermilk hoping they would bounce back, but no luck. All 4 are from the same hatchery. I have messaged them to see if they have had anything similar happening with any other birds.

Has anyone heard of this? And do they have any suggestions on supplements, feed, vitamins, etc. I'm beyond desperate at this point.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Did the vet give you any information/diagnosis or medication at all? What did they do - any testing - fecal float, gram stain...?

Where are you located in the world?

What do you normally feed including treats?
You had other chickens before this correct? Is it only the youngsters or is it a mix of ages?
How long have they been in the coop/run?
Any chance feed is moldy, they ate something rotten?

Photos of birds, housing and poop please.

Symptoms? You have lost them, but what are they doing? Lethargic, crop not emptying, staggering, wasting?

They were still eating some chick starter as well as layer ration.
What % feed? Also you fed them layer feed at 8 weeks old? They do not need the calcium, it’s very bad when they’re not laying. I would take them off of that. Open them up, see if anything is off.
Take a chicken or a few that looks bad to the vet and ask the vet to test it’s poop for worms or something. Any eye infections you see?

I'm sorry for your loss.

Did the vet give you any information/diagnosis or medication at all? What did they do - any testing - fecal float, gram stain...? No diagnosis. He said he felt a mass in it's abdomen, but she was still pooping. No tests were done - she was euthanized at the vet.

Where are you located in the world? Alberta, CANADA

What do you normally feed including treats? I feed them medicated chick feed and they did have access to layer ration at 10 weeks, but they didn't eat much of it. They also get organic scratch, organic fruits and veggies, weeds and grass from our yard (we do not use fertilizers or pesticides).
You had other chickens before this correct? Yes - this is my third year. Is it only the youngsters or is it a mix of ages? Only the youngsters and all from the same breeder.
How long have they been in the coop/run? For about 3-4 weeks.
Any chance feed is moldy, they ate something rotten? No. Feed is stored in a dry, cool place. I change it daily. I don't feed them anything rotten - they are pretty spoiled actually.

Photos of birds, housing and poop please.

Symptoms? You have lost them, but what are they doing? Lethargic, crop not emptying, staggering, wasting? Definitely wasting! They don't even seem to have anything in their crop - like they haven't even eaten, but I've seen them eating a lot. That's why I'm confused. They get lethargic and unsteady a day before they pass. It's very upsetting.

What % feed? Also you fed them layer feed at 8 weeks old? They do not need the calcium, it’s very bad when they’re not laying. I would take them off of that. Open them up, see if anything is off.
Take a chicken or a few that looks bad to the vet and ask the vet to test it’s poop for worms or something. Any eye infections you see?

No they did not get layer ration at 8 weeks. Only in the last couple weeks (11 weeks) and it is organic layer ration, but they have still been eating the medicated chick feed mostly.
I already took one to the vet and he couldn't figure out why they would not be gaining weight. No eye infections, the poop was normal. They were just as stumped.

I’ve heard of tumors in chicks before I just can’t remember which disease it is. Hmm, maybe Marek’s? Let me see...
The vet thought it was almost like a gastric/intestinal blockage; however, the chick was still pooping, so things were getting through. He thought she'd be too young for a tumor, but anything can happen.

Back
Top Bottom