My 13-week-old chicks are leaving

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Red, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    We originally hatched out five chicks, but with four boys and just one girl we knew they couldn't stay together for long. At ten weeks old three of the boys were re-homed, and my dad's friend (a farmer) asked if he could have the remaining boy and girl when they were a few weeks older. We said yes [​IMG] On Monday, Midget (the roo) started crowing. We asked our friend if he was ready to take them because we can't keep a crowing rooster, and he said he didn't want them anymore [​IMG]

We immediately contacted the guy who took the other three boys and asked if he would like two more chickens, and although he said yes he is on holiday until the middle of next week. Midget now crows at 4:00am and i have to run down and distract him to shut him up!

Any ideas on how to keep him quiet? I'm gonna try making his bed pitch black tonight, anything else i can do? To make matters worse i go on holiday tomorrow, and my parents are also away and don't get back till Monday. Somebody is coming in the day to feed the animals, but nobody will be here to stop Midget crowing
    [​IMG]

They are lovely chicks and i'm gutted i won't be around to say bye; here are some pics of them taken a week or so ago...
    [​IMG]
    Both of them in the kitchen, Sunny is roosting

[​IMG]
    Sunny

[​IMG]
    Midget

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Pretty boys... the only fix I know for the one crowing is to bring it in a totally dark place at night.

Can you put in a dog crate and then in the garage or a really dark closet, etc at night?

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Aww they are so cute! I would have to agree..put it in a dog crate if you can and keep it in the garage. That's what I would do. At least it muffles the crows. Good luck!

4. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Thanks to both of you [​IMG] They are lovely chicks, i don't understand why the guy suddenly decided he didn't want them. Wish he'd told us before then they could have all gone together [​IMG]

We don't have a garage, but i will try make their bedroom as dark as possible. They sleep in a broody box and are let out to free-range during the day, so i'll try keep it dark...

I did try bringing them in last night and made a pen for them indoors, but they freaked. Much flapping and panicked cheeping ensued...if he does crow tomorrow morning i'll just have to put them inside, flapping or no flapping, otherwise i fear the neighbours will kill us! [​IMG]

5. villnave

villnave Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2008
    OMG!! WE RAISED THE SAME KIND OF CHICKS! And , to his crowing problem,you can NEVER quiet them at four weeks with a dark place!! Trust ME! I tried it![​IMG]:barnie:barnie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by