1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My 14 month old Dominique hen has begun sleeping much of the day

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Charli Jo, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Charli Jo

Charli Jo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    raleigh
    She stopped laying in dec but all was well, she appears fine but maybe staying up at night and sleeping all day. She used to sleep just outside the main roost area and on a perch in the attached run..She seems to like to be by herself at night. Not sure what to do. I took out all lighting but no change.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You say she used to sleep outside the main roost area on a perch -- where is she sleeping now? Is she "sleeping" during the day in a nested position (whether in the nest box or elesewhere)

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is she active at all?
    Eating drinking pooping 'normally'?
    How old is she?
    Did she molt this fall?

4. Charli Jo

Sep 4, 2013
    raleigh
    she is about 14 mo.. she had never molted. She hasn't laid since late nov early dec. She just switched to sleeping on a perch in the run of this coop (her original chosen place) but this has not made any difference. There are 4 other hens about her size in the flock. Her eyes and nose appear clear, feather look nice, can't tell if their weight loss yet, seems to sleep ok at night. She foraging just a little, and appears to be eating far less-can't tell about drinking..snoozing 90% of day near all over yard...
    [​IMG]

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Have you had her since she was a chick?
    Does she go back to roost in coop with the others at dusk?
    I imagine you've examined her body well and all over for anything unusual.

That amount of lack of activity sure sounds like she's not feeling well, chickens can hide illnesses until they are about to kick.
    I'd isolate her in a wire crate to monitor input and output.

6. Charli Jo

Sep 4, 2013
    raleigh
    I think I hatched her. Yes, and tonight she went back in the inner area with the others. I think when its warmer she'll roost outside. I'm wondering if i should bring her inside -if she not better tomorrow..-- none of the other hens show the least bit of this sleeping during the day..

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I use a 24"L x 18"W x 21"H wire dog crate to isolate/observe birds who may be ill.
    Put 1x2 wire in bottom of crate then put tray underneath crate,
    to catch poops for better visual inspection.... and cleaner chicken feet.
    This allows you to check crop at night then in morning before giving feed to see if crop is working.
    Monitor how much she is eating and drinking.
    Give her a good going over...part feathers down to skin around vent(and all over) to look for parasites or anything else unusual.
    Check abdomen for swelling.

Luckily my coop is part of large shed so I can keep isolation crate in same temp and bird can see the flock.
    If you can't do that, avoid large temp changes, put crate (or her) back with flock for most the day to avoid re-integration issues.

Might have to do this for several days/nights to determine what her problem is and if you can 'fix' it.
    Best of cLuck to youse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by