My 14 week old pekins are afraid of my 2 week old runners(pics)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bryanccfshr, May 27, 2010.

1. Bryanccfshr

Bryanccfshr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2010
    Farmington , NM
    I have an exercise pen within the main pen area where I have been keeing my two runner ducklings this week to get them socialized with my 4 pekins. Today I let the runners out in the main pen as I cleaned their hover brooder area.

I got quite a treat. The runners wanted to be with the pekins, the pekins wanted nothing to do with the small ducklins and got alot of exercise running around the pen to get away from the little runners, the full grown pekins were getting worn out as the 2 week old runners effortlessly stayed right with them. I may do this daily for my entertainment and it seems to be good interaction. I picked up the two runners afterward and put them up, the pekins seemed relived, no one wants to be a mama.

Edit, Added some pictures.

Pekins minding their own business I gave them half a corn cob to play with and went to clean the runner pen.
    [​IMG]

in a flash they are out
    [​IMG]

They spot the pekin flock and want to join
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The chase is on

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    [​IMG] That is so funny!!!! We have Runners that are like 3 days old. When my DD was holding one near the brooder with the 3 1/2 week old Pekins and Kahkis the little thing let out a loud peep and everyone of the big ducks went flying around the brooder! Funny ducks. You should catch that on video! [​IMG]

3. Bryanccfshr

Mar 29, 2010
    Farmington , NM
    I will try to get some video. THe pekins are curios about them but don't understand the little dark runners running at them to join the flock.

4. Bryanccfshr

Mar 29, 2010
    Farmington , NM
    Back to their safe area
    [​IMG]

5. chickboss

Mar 23, 2010
    OMG, those pics are great! My girls and I were cracking up! It looks so dry where you are, we are in Oregon and trying to stop everything from going to mud is a constant struggle this time of year. Thanks for adding the pics!

6. Bryanccfshr

Mar 29, 2010
    Farmington , NM
    Yeah it's the desert of Farmington New Mexico. Not much mess a little wind and sunshine can't clean.

7. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    hahaha that's sooooooooooooo cute. reminds me of my teeny tiny bunny who chases my kitty. they are friends though and love to cuddle

8. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    I am loving this! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Poor Pekins! Right now they are typing on their duck message board about how they got attacked by creepy little aliens!!

9. chickboss

Mar 23, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    [​IMG]

When I put my guinea keets outside for the first time, they tried to follow my flock of adult ganders around. The ganders ran screaming from the guineas who ran faster to keep up with them. These geese "ruled" the barnyard, even bossed the goats around, but were terrified of six ounce guinea keets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by