My 14 week old rooster died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by weebles&wobblesmom, Aug 13, 2011.

1. weebles&wobblesmom

weebles&wobblesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    My rooster, Dudley, died yesterday. I wish I knew from what to make sure my other chickens & ducks can't get it. It was strange. At least for me but I've never owned chickens before. He was sneezing ( no nasel discharge), then he acted like he was choking and labored breathing, then he would, what I assume, have a seizure. After about 1/2 hour he acted fine. Yesterday, he did it and ended up breaking his neck.

I took the bedding out of the cage I had him in and put rags in incase it was the bedding, but that didn't help.

Really stinks.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks

2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    First... give your coop a thorough cleaning-- including all nest boxes. Clean run too. You may never know what it was... but, it doesn't hurt to take these precautions. Do they free-range... could he have eaten something he shouldn't have... fertilizer around plants, fire ant poisoning, etc? If so, keep your others away from those areas or keep them inside their run. I'm sorry about your loss.

[​IMG]

3. weebles&wobblesmom

weebles&wobblesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    They don't have free range all the time. I only let them out and watch them for a few hours a night. It could be possible he ate something but I don't know what it would be. I am going to clean the coop and the run very good. For one reason, it needs it and now because of this.

Thank you for your response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by