1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My 15 hens stopped laying since the days have gotten so short

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickengirl1304, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Chickengirl1304

Chickengirl1304 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    California
    I live in a valley in the mountains. The days are about 11 hours long. I put a bunch of Christmas lights in the coop and have them on a timer. Do you think it'll work? And if so when can I expect them to resume their laying? Thanks :)

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmm... You'll have to let us know. What color are the lights? I wouldn't think they would be bright enough to trick the hens' systems into thinking it's daylight-ish, but ya never know!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  3. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    I just saw a How-To Video that said that as little one candle can make a difference. It also said add the light in the morning, not at night.
    [​IMG]

4. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, that's good to know. I've got a CFL in the chicken house but I was thinking it was kind of dim. I guess not. =) I add light at both ends of the day. Can't have excessive crowing at 2 in the morning (since they need 14 hours of light and in the winter it's dark here at 4). LOL

5. Chickengirl1304

May 5, 2012
    California
    They're the clear lights. I added the light in the morning because I read that if you add at night they could get freaked out and hurt if the light suddenly goes off and it's dark. Thanks everyone I'll keep you posted :)

6. Ehirning

Ehirning Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2012
    I'm curious to see if this works or not. I have 16 hens, many who have decided to take the winter off.

7. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    My hens had quit laying the begining of October when the days became shorter and much colder. I put a small light bulb in the coop above the water to keep it from freezing and within 2-3 weeks most had started laying again! It was somewhat sporadic at first but they are now laying more consistently. Best of luck to you! :)

8. Chickengirl1304

May 5, 2012
    California

Right on! Thank you :)

9. sidetrack

sidetrack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Copake Falls, Ny
    My girls have just started laying their eggs the end of Sept. to just a few days ago. I have 8 chicks I got in May, 5 are now laying. I put a light with a timer in their coop to go on at 4:30am just this evening. I am hoping it will encourage the last 3 to start and keep the other 5 from stopping. I don't like it when it gets dark so early.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by