My 15 week old Cream Legbar has a leg injury, i need help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicksandme, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Chicksandme

Chicksandme Out Of The Brooder

I went to the doctors and came back to fine my sweet shy cream Legbar that couldn't move around. She always get harassed by the light Sussex that always seem to chase her around. Ever since her sister died she has been hanging out by herself a lot. She just gets very skittish and scared, she does everything to avoid that one girl, it might have something to do with the bigger girls picking on her.

So, she was on the coop floor when i went to check on the chickens and she was not able to stand on both feet. When i pick her up she cried and she seems to be in pain. I have isolated her from the flock so she can rest and try to heal. I have put vitamins in her water and was trying to put some dogie aspirin but it was so hard and was not sure about so i didn't put it in. Do you have any idea what I can do to help her get well soon? She does like it when i hold her, she just closes her eyes and just sleeps. Her right foot is lifted and cant put weight on it but noticed her left is not that strong either so she is not able to put much weight on either of them...Any Advice needed.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can give her a low dose baby aspirin in her food twice a day if she is hurting. I would keep her in a small area with food and water, add some vitamins to her water, and force rest for at least a week or two, and see how she does. If you can she could be placed near the other chickens during the daytime to stay part of the flock. Sprains are pretty common, and may take a few weeks to heal. Good luck.

3. Chicksandme

Oh my that is a longtime but I'll do what I need to make her better ASAP. I just hope that will be her cure. Thank you for your advice. I have her in the house in the bathroom away from my little dogs so she can rest. Should I put her back in the coop so she can be near the flock? The weather was a bit gloomy and in the 40s so I was trying to keep her warmer.

I do have one question about my silkie that is on the roosting bar, I saw him up on it two days in a row as if he is having problems getting Down it and had to get him down. I will see if he is doing the same tomorrow. I want to make sure I'm not catching something. New to chickens so everything is a learning lesson.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Well, if another chicken is having problems, then I would watch it closely. Mareks disease is always a scary thing to deal with in chickens, and symptoms can really vary a lot. Do you know if yours were vaccinated for Mareks? I like to leave chickens in the coop, caged, if possible, if they are sick or need protection. That really depends on the size of your coop. Here are some links to read explaining symptoms, age, and types of Mareks:
    https://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

5. Chicksandme

My giel is on her 5th day and she has made some progress, not a lot but she is able to at least stand a brief time to adjust herself and walk over to the food bowl in her small cage. She seems to be eating well, i give her tbsp of yogurt quarter of hard boiled egg sprinkled with asprin and she gobbles it up. I took a picture of her poop and it is bright green with hite streaks in it. I read some where that that is not a good sign but dont remember exactly what. Can anyone let me know what that is... shoot i can't seem to attach the pic, i will try seperately.

6. Chicksandme

My giel is on her 5th day and she has made some progress, not a lot but she is able to at least stand a brief time to adjust herself and walk over to the food bowl in her small cage. She seems to be eating well, i give her tbsp of yogurt quarter of hard boiled egg sprinkled with asprin and she gobbles it up. I took a picture of her poop and it is bright green with hite streaks in it. I read some where that that is not a good sign but dont remember exactly what. Can anyone let me know what that is...[​IMG]

7. Tasha71

Tasha71 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2016
    Kent, UK
    You could maybe make her a harness to sit in, like a sling to take some weight off of her poorly leg until it heals. Looking at her cage you can hang a a sling from each side, holes for her legs and bottom, enough to support her chest but not restrict it and put food and water in dishes she can reach. I made one for my hamburgh who damaged her leg in excitement... she loved the pressure being taken off her leg :) Has she been wormed? green poop can indicate a worm problem... I am not a vet so please do not take any of my advice as gospel :) Hope she gets better, I have a cream legbar needing tlc also :)

8. Chicksandme

What a great idea, i have to come up with a sling. She does like it when i hold her. I have not wormed my chicks, they are aroud 15 to 16 weeks old so i assume worming them might be a good idea, i dont think it would hurt them if i did. Thanks for your advice.

9. Tasha71

Tasha71 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2016
    Kent, UK
  10. Chicksandme

Thank you for the link, i try it but she came right out. I think i need to go back to the drawing board, lol! So my legbar has been in the cage abut a week now and made some progress but still not able to walk freely. Now i have another girl that hurt her left leg so i got them both caged together. She is not happy that she is in a cage...

I noticed they both have the green poop and from what i was told it mite be worms... what do you recommend i use for that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by