1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My 16-day old RIR died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Trotter, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Trotter

Trotter New Egg

May 3, 2014
    I bought 2 - 2 day old RIR female chicks. They were both healthy but when I brought them home. After about 3 days, one seemed to yawn excessively. After a few more days, I realized that she was struggling to breathe. Meanwhile, she was straining hard to poop. While she was straining, she would loudly squawk. Her vent became red and swollen and protuded. I often had to gently squeeze her vent to get the remaining poop out.

It became harder and harder for her to breathe and she eventually became too weak to make it to the food and water bowl. I gave her water with a dropper and she seemed able to swallow it with no problem.

I found her dead in her cage yesterday. The remaining chick cries constantly and wants to be carried around.

My question is two fold. (1) can anyone venture a guess as to what happened to my little chick?
    (2) Should I buy another chick as a companion for the remaining chick. I called the store where I bought the chicks and they do not have any left from the same batch so they would be close in age. Is a few-day-old chick too young for the 16 day old?

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I am sorry for your loss! Your lone chick needs a companion. It shouldn't be a problem with just a couple weeks difference in age. Just make sure the brooder is large enough so, the older one can move away from the heat if, it wants. I always add Mothers ACV (Organic Apple Cider Vinegar) to the chicks water (1 tsp to 1 qt of water) it helps with pasty butt and is good for them.

3. Trotter

Trotter New Egg

May 3, 2014
    Thank u for your thoughtful reply. I am already sad over her loss, but seeing the other one looking for her companion is heartbreaking. She loudly peeps and will not stop until I pick her up and carry her around. A feed store employee recommended a barred rock, so I will get one tomorrow. While my other one was getting too weak to get to her food and water, I gave her water with a dropper, but her companion would get food in her beak and try to feed the sick one. I will get ACV and try it.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would also offer them a wet mash made from chick feed to entice them to eat well. If your chick was gasping , she may have aspirated something. Or had something that you'll never know what happened. It sounds like something wasn't working right. Give your chick a stuffed animal or a mirror till she gets a buddy. It might help

1 person likes this.
  5. AmyMurphy

AmyMurphy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2014
    Bartonville TX
    I am so sorry for your loss. We started our chick family back in Nov and lost 2 about the same age as yours, we were heart broken and had no idea what happened. We still had 4 more so they didn't cry but they showed signs of loss. I am glad you are getting another one and I love the mirror idea. She prob just was weak or had some issue that you could have done nothing about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by