My 17 Wk Old EE Roo Is All Grown Up! (Update)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bluey, Dec 5, 2008.

1. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    [​IMG]

This picture is a little dated. I will update but my lone 16 week old EE roo, Perry Cox, still hasn't started crowing yet and he absolutely dotes on his adopted mom (who hatched him), our alpha Delaware hen, Churkey. He follows her around everywhere like a lovesick puppy dog.

While his sisters, Barbie and Slagathor, have become more independent of mom, Perry is attached to his mom by the hip. He is now the largest chicken in a flock of eight, but still has yet to establish any dominance over any of the other older hens. He'll pick on his sisters at feeding time, but that's about the extent of it.

I'm actually somewhat surprised by his docile nature especially since he is getting huge!

Anybody have similar experiences with home hatched roos and their moms?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

He is adorable!!! I think I have a roo in my brooder now....

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    No, I don't, but I wanted to say that he sure is pretty!
    I do have an EE cockerel (about 17 weeks old) that loves me. Follows me around, rides my shoulder at feeding time, he's crazy. LOL Maybe it's an EE trait.

4. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Thanks!

I've heard a couple of folks characterize their EE roos as average to mean. I guess I'm shocked that:

1. he hasn't started crowing at all, not a peep, and
    2. he's not shown any real aggression at all, just pecking order stuff with his sisters
    3. he faithfully remains at his momma's side at almost all times, at 16+ weeks...

Just really odd....because I had a pair of leghorn roos that i gave away at 8 weeks this past spring and they were super aggresive and we're already crowing (albeit pathetically)...

i'm sure one day, I'll come home and the hens will be out of sorts and flustered and he'll be smoking a cigarette! [​IMG] , but it's kind of hard to imagine right now....

I'll post an updated pic later....

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    My roos JUST started crowing this past weekend. So I'm sure he'll surprise you in no time!

6. Moriah

Moriah Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2008
    Springfield Colorado
    All I have are EE's, since I ordered a straight run, I wound up with a number of roos. I had four that were VERY aggressive, so they went into the pot, they weren't only very aggressive towards the other birds,but to my husband and I as well. We still have about 8 roos left, we are going to keep only two and the rest are waiting to go to new homes, which have been found, they just need to get the coop either fixed or built.

Some of my roos won't have anything to do with us, only one willingly comes up to me for attention on his own. There is obvious "deciding" of the heirarchy going on, but nothing as bad as it had been before the other 4 were culled. One, named fugly who has turned out to be the prettiest bird we have, has decided that the coop is HIS. He typically has a fit if any of the other roos try to go in, which has wound up with us having a number of birds in the run after dark, just as happy as can be in the very cold Teens weather.

There is a select few of my hens that are very lovable and follow me around, jump up on my lap/shoulder or otherwise insist that I hold them. The others squawk like I am trying to hurt them if I just lightly touch them.

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    wow great coloring, he's very handsome.

8. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Newer picture of the Momma's Boy!

[​IMG]

9. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Perry was crowing today!!!!!

He finally turned into a rooster.... [​IMG]

10. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on Perry finding his voice. And he is absolutely beautiful!! He should come over and 'play' with my two EE girls. [​IMG] I love his coloring...especially the white....gorgeous bird!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by