1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My 18 week old girls have started laying!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kbaij, Nov 6, 2008.

1. kbaij

kbaij Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    I had a post three or four days ago asking about my 18 week old girls squatting, and was assured that they were getting ready to lay....and as always you guys ere right! Got our first egg three days ago, out in the yard in the dirt, and the last two days she has figured it out and the eggs have been in the nest box!!!!! One perfect little brown egg at about the same time each day! I just bought 100 pounds of pullet grower, not expecting any eggs this soon, is it ok for them to finish it off, or should I switch to laying crumbles? Only one of the 22 is laying, but most of the other girls are squatting also.

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Congrats on your 1st egg! I have 2 sets of hens that are a month apart - 1st set is 23 wks old and 2nd set is 18 wks old & no egg yet! [​IMG]
    I am soooo jealous of u getting your first egg! Sometimes I just wanna [​IMG] . Just kidding [​IMG]

3. kbaij

kbaij Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    Don't be too jealous, only one 1 laying so far. Still waiting on the othe 21.

4. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    I've not really noticed mine squatting [yet], but their combs & wattles are really red. As long as it happens by Christmas I'll be happy. I've started to talk about diff kinds of chicken recipes around them lately so I'm hoping that the threats will work sooner rather than later. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by