1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My 19 week old Roo does nothing but stand with his head between his legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by toolgirl6597, Mar 19, 2015.

1. toolgirl6597

toolgirl6597 New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    Hi! I'm brand new to the forum and new to owning chickens altogether. I got my first few last year. Anyway, this year, I found someone not far from me that had breeds that I wanted so we took the kids out to pick some out. We got 2 beautiful buff orphingtons, and 4 Easter eggers. (I have little kids, they think the colors of the eggs are neat :) Out of the 4 "female" Easter eggers, one started crowing in the morning. I didn't want a rooster but that's what he turned out to be and he is darling. He is WAY sweeter and friendlier than the other girls I bought.
    On the 3rd day after he learned to crow he didn't crow. I went to check on him and he was rubbing his face and head on his belly. He didn't stop for 3 days!!! I knew he was eating and drinking because his dishes were empty when I came home from work. He is in a cage inside by himself. The 6 birds I bought weren't yet big enough to defend themselves from the big red hens, so they were being raised in a 6 hole cage. The 2 buffs went out pretty fast, along with my daughters weird looking black one with puffy fur on her cheeks and a white one. The last was the Roo and this other one that just seems really small compared to the others. The girls outside hate her. Lol. Anyway, I called the vet and he said he would check him out. He had been "upside down" for 3 days and he had stopped crowing. The vet said he "thinks" it's a neck injury, but he's not sure because he's not a "chicken" vet. He gave him a shot of cortisone and said I should see a change within an hour. This was last week. He still doesn't seem right, still keeps his head lowered, and doesn't crow. He still puts his head on his belly and shakes it. The vet checked for mites and such but didn't find anything. Roo goes outside with me everyday after work and he does normal chicken things but he doesn't hold his head up like the other birds and he still stops to shake his head on his belly. I am not near a poultry vet and don't know where else to turn. I wish I would have gotten video of his actions but I was too worried to think of it. Has anyone seen this? Is he safe to let live outside alone? He doesn't have the greatest balance and I worry he will fall. He's a really sweet guy and I really want him to be ok. Oh and I really miss the crowing :) I'm sorry this is so long for a first post, I wanted to give as much info as I could and well I talk a lot lol. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  3. toolgirl6597

toolgirl6597 New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    I should tube feed even if he's eating, drinking and foraging on his own? I looked up wry neck but that seems to be in small chicks. Does it happen suddenly like this? He was perfectly fine the day before...

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My two that had it did get it suddenly. If he's eating well, you won't need to tube feed. I think it's good if he's eating on his own. The chicks I've had that got it were a faverolle and a Houdan.

19 weeks is not that old. I had a roo get it at 2 years old. It may have been from an injury, I will never know if something caused it or not. I fed him with a tablespoon for 6 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by