my 1st attemp at hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hddave2, Dec 18, 2011.

1. hddave2

hddave2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2011
    harrodsburg ky.
    well im tring my 1st attemp at hatching eggs....i got 9 eggs in a homemade cooler/bator... temp right now is 99deg and humidity is 67%... right now the temp stays between 99deg and 100 deg ...humidity jumps around between 67 and 70 %...stays mostly so far about 68%... well wish me luck and if im doing somthing wrong then let me know....

2. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Good luck - I put 12 call duck eggs in the bator today - my 2nd time to hatch.[​IMG]

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Not sure if you're hatching "chicken" eggs, but I keep my humidity around the mid 50's during the first 18 days.

[​IMG]

4. hddave2

Dec 2, 2011
    harrodsburg ky.
    Quote:sorry .. forgot to mention they were chicken eggs

5. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, definitely keep the humity between 40 and 50 degrees for the first 18 days. The eggs need to give off internal moisture so the air cell can grow bigger and be the right size for the chick to breathe in during the hatch. This is a wonderful thread for incubating. I refer to it all the time. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876

6. hddave2

Dec 2, 2011
    harrodsburg ky.
    humidity sitting at 71%... how do i lower it without removing the eggs ...i have a pan with a small sponge and very very little water...

7. AlienChick

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Start by getting rid of the sponge and see if that helps.

8. hddave2

Dec 2, 2011
    harrodsburg ky.
    i would have to remove the eggs...will that hurt anything to remove the long enough to get the spong out

9. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

RattlesnakeRidgeWV Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    I would definately lower the humidity the first 18 days. You do not need any water the first 18 days unless the humidity gets below 20%. Try researching dry hatch on the BYC search. I have used this method and it works fine for me. It is worth a try depending on the normal humidity in your part of the country. You will just have to experiment to get your method right. There is no perfect way to incubate other than mother natures HEN! Good luck with your incubation.

10. AlienChick

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Eggs will be fine; just handle them gently and do not shake. [​IMG]

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by