My 1st batch of Runners are pipping!!! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by T Hi, Apr 29, 2011.

1. T Hi

T Hi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    How long will it take from Pip, Zip, Hatch?

My temp is 98* and humidity is 65%-70%.

I'm using a LG still air bator. Give me advice!! What should I do next???

AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! I'm so excited!!!!! [​IMG]

I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight!! I'm setting up camp in the bathroom next to the bator!!! I just gotta watch!! This is the best reality TV!!! [​IMG]

2. T Hi

Mar 7, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    OH and another question!

I have 13 eggs in the bator. If 2 or 3 hatch tonight can I take them out in the morning and leave the other eggs? Will they still hatch? Will I screw them up?

Like in the above post I have a still air with the 2 removable windows in the top of the lid. I would open 1 of them to remove the babies and then close it back up quick!

Ok so that is more than 1 question!!! A million more to follow I'm sure!!!!

3. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    It can take 24 hours or longer - even 48 hours - from pipping to emerging from the egg. It's tough to break out of an egg! So just leave them be and enjoy the show.

Leave them in the incubator for about 24 hours after they hatch. During this time they are drying out, resting and absorbing the egg yolk. Plus, their cheeping will encourage the others to come out faster.

4. T Hi

Mar 7, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    This is a real test of my patience!!!

24-48 hours! [​IMG] I'm gonna need some serious caffeine to stay up that long!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Get some sleep- You will need it before they are all finished hatching- it may take a few days - I just had a batch of runner takes 5 days between the first and last out- meaning a whole week between first pip and last to hatch- but that is very unusual.

6. T Hi

Mar 7, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    I want them to imprint on humans. Will they do that if I'm just talking to them thru the bator or do I need to handle them?

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Talking to them is good to get them to recognise your voice- but handling them once hatched will have a greater effect on them.

8. T Hi

Mar 7, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Quote:But do I need to handle them immediately after hatching or will waiting 24 hours be ok?

I'm very adamant about imprinting on them. I have 5 ducks that I got at a week old. They are sweet and love me but, the 1 duckling that was handled by a human shortly after hatching is an entirely different personality! They are more than pets for us. They are part of the family. I even have diapers so they can hang out for a bit and watch TV with us and the 1 older duckling!

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Waiting til they fluff up at least is best- do go rushing to get them out of the bator just to hold them. I have my just hatched babies beside my bed for the first week- and move them into the loungeroom if I am to spend a while there each evening. I even sleep sometimes with my hand in the brooder so they get used to being touched and snuggling up to it so they develop a feeling of security rather than being scared of hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by