My 1st Broody! - Attempting my 1st hatching - Many many questions

PacsMan

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Salt Lake Valley
I've got a black Austalorp who's gone broody. She's been that way for about 4 days now. I don't have a rooster. I have a friend at work who has some 'mutt' chicken eggs, but I'm not sure I want mutts... I think I'd like to do Buff Opringtons.

We're in Utah. Winter hits mid November. The chicks will only be 4-5 weeks old by then.

Questions
1) What's the best way buy/get a dozen fertile eggs? I've seen a time or two folks offering them to noobs... anyone here willing to do that? (he asked hoping this question would let this post stay in the Buy Sell Trade area...)

2) Can a black australorp sit on a dozen buff orpington eggs?

3) If "mamma" raises these babies, will 5 week olds be ok going into winter in an outside detatched garage in a Utah Winter?

4) Can one breed (australorp) hatch/raise a different breed (buff opringtons)?

5) What's the best way to do this? Move her to her own place at night, let her sit for a day or two with 'fake' eggs, then put 'real' eggs under her?

6) other suggestions?

Marty

I haven't hatched yet, but I've been researching the heck out of it since I'm planning on doing it soon. So the following info is based on what I've learned here. Thought I had a broody, but she's content being only partial broody, so I bought a bator.

You can put any eggs you want under her. Some people have chickens hatch their duck eggs.

Gumpsgirl has Black/Blue/Splash Orp eggs for sale right now. (only know cuz I'm looking now that I bought a bator....I love the blue orps) A few people have buff eggs for sale too, just search the listings.

With mama raising them, she will keep them warm.

5) What's the best way to do this? Move her to her own place at night, let her sit for a day or two with 'fake' eggs, then put 'real' eggs under her?
From what I've read, you can do this to keep her from being bothered by the other chickens while she's sitting. Someone also stated it's best to move the nest with her if you can.

Good luck!

2) Can a black australorp sit on a dozen buff orpington eggs?

No problem at all.

3) If "mamma" raises these babies, will 5 week olds be ok going into winter in an outside detatched garage in a Utah Winter?

You can put them in the detached garage with mama from day one. She'll take care of them. I'd recommend doing this if you don't let her raise them in the coop with the other chickens.

4) Can one breed (australorp) hatch/raise a different breed (buff opringtons)?

No problem at all.

Sounds like a very good plan.

6) other suggestions?

You might check out these threads.

Isolate a Broody? Thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213218

Raise with flock? thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=215937&p=1

To add my 2 cents, I've got a Barred Rock raising 5 Blue Orpingtons that she hatched and she is a wonderful mom - my second hen to do it this summer. I've got a Buff Orpington currently sitting on 6 Speckled Sussex eggs and she is one intense little hen - very determined. Your Australorp will be an awesome broody and mom from what I've read and experienced.
As for winter, I think 5 weeks old is cutting it close, but they'll have their Mama to keep them warm. Any chance of a light bulb or heat lamp out in their space just until they're 8 or 10 weeks old? It's a wonderful experience to watch a broody with her chicks and I'd hate for you to miss it, though I know you could wait until Spring.

Back
Top Bottom