My 1st broody hatch so far....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lynnemabry, Jun 24, 2011.

1. lynnemabry

lynnemabry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Beautiful Lake County
    3 weeks ago today I let my broody EE keep a clutch of 2 days eggs from my flock.
    Started with 9 eggs, lost 3 early on.
    (1 missing, 1 cracked and 1 I removed by mistake. The rest of the girls keep trying to lay in her box.)

She is brooding in the main coop, in a separate box. My goal is to try raise them with the flock.
    I do have another coop the babies can go into if necessary.

Weds. one was hatching and died [​IMG]
    It was 102 that day and that might have played into the death.
    But the next morning there was one little, cute yellow fluff ball under mama.
    This morning two eggs are cheeping and mama and baby are fine.

The watching and waiting is ......... well ......... watching and waiting .......... and waiting.

2. turtlynne

turtlynne Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    AIKEN
    :)How egg-citing! I have two hens on small clutches; one due for hatching three eggs tomorrow and the other is a silly hen who has never met a rooster! I slipped three probably fertile eggs under her and am hopeful! they have been very diligent setters. I would be delighted with one or two chicks especially for the hen 'due' tomorrow as her last clutch never hatched and she seemed depressed:( after I had to take the eggs away from her. (aren't we a mess trying to ascribe human characteristics to these marvelous-just-as-they-are creatures?) and such pretty avatar eggs you have!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  3. lynnemabry

Jul 24, 2010
    Beautiful Lake County
    Went and checked before lunch. Also put some chick starter in for the baby.
    Put it right in front of mom and she ate most of it and the baby chowed with her.
    One more egg has pipped.

Personally I think this is worse than the incubator cause I can't see without bothering mama.

Quote:and thanks those were my first two eggs.

4. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats! I'm having the same problem, I was expecting the eggs under my broody hen to hatch on Sunday, but when I went out to gather eggs today I heard peeping, and found a cute little yellow chick! The rest could go any day now... I want to go out and check but I get growled at. [​IMG] -Wendy

5. SilkieCreekFarm

SilkieCreekFarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    Louisiana
    Congrats....I remember first hatch...:pSo excited I couldn't sit still. Watching every moment with much anticapation. I have a batch of buff laced polish hatched this week. The first 2 chicks very healthy (lots of singing), the third one smaller in size and still woobly (day 2 or 3), and the last one hatch day, but I noticed the chick behind seem to be a little larger than the other chicks and afterbirth bleeding) Is this normal?[​IMG]

6. farmgirlforever18

farmgirlforever18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    Hope it goes good for you best of luck [​IMG]

7. lynnemabry

Jul 24, 2010
    Beautiful Lake County
    [​IMG]
    checked mama this morning and found 3 more babies.
    and one dud it looks like.
    mama happy and hungary.

sorry for the bad pict. all i have is my phone right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by