My 1st egg... now what

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 38farmgirl, Aug 6, 2010.

1. 38farmgirl

38farmgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Today I got my 1st egg... Do I have to clean it or do anything to it before we use it??

2. SugarDuck

SugarDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Lamar, AR.
    We just wash and use ours. You can search and find out that some people don't wash them and don't even refrigerate them. I think your fine whichever route you choose.

3. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

Congrats!!! Here's what I've learned on BYC... (I'm somewhat new also) It's best not to wash the eggs until you are going to use them. Put them in a container in the fridge and right before using them wash them. Use plain water that is warmer than the egg is when you wash it. This makes the inside of the egg expand and push out water and debris thru the shell. If you use colder water than the egg it sucks the water and debris into the egg. The hens place a bloom on the eggs after laying them and they will keep in the fridge for up to a month with no problems.

Probably more info then you wanted but I also learned that if you are worried whether an egg is good or not.

Place the egg in a bowl of water and if it sinks then it's good....if it floats then it no good.

Hope it helps! [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I "blow" out the first egg from any of my pullets to save the shell for posterity. First eggs are pretty small, usually, so I wait until I have about 3 eggs, then I blow out the first egg, crack the other two, and have a nice dish of scrambled eggs.

Congrats! Enjoy the "fruits" of your pullets' labor!

5. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:That's a good idea!

When I was little, I used to hollow out an egg by using a chopstick, creating a pea sized hole on the fat end of the egg. Rinse well and chill, then go and act like it's a real egg and crush it on someones head.

Yeah, I was 8 years old. Gimme a break!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by