My 1st hatch. Due Oct 5th UPDATED WITH PIC

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 19Dawn76, Sep 13, 2009.

1. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    I have calibrated my hygrometers and now I am trying to get my LG bator to maintain a 99.5 temp. I am also collecting eggs and now that I have a few I have my first question.
    My girls are laying lsome really oddly shaped eggs. I mean one I really can't ever tell which end is which. Do you hatch all eggs or try to avoid the ones that aren't uniform?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I hatch them all

3. 19Dawn76

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    I had to wrap a towel around the bator but it had stayed at 99.6 for 6 hours now!!!

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Awesome!

I set them even when they're almost round. Candle before setting so you can see where the air cell is, and set that end UP. You might want to mark in pencil, so you don't get confused about which end is up. I number my eggs, for my records, so I just always write the number "right side up" for the end that should be up, and that helps me keep them the right way even when the egg is almost completely round.

5. 19Dawn76

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    Quote:good idea! the candeling. I already wrote the date they were collected on the eggs. I have been collecting since the 11th. I knew you guys were going to be VERY help.ful

6. 19Dawn76

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    So I thought everything was perfect, temp at 99.5, humidity at 35% then i remembered why I had writen the -8 on the hygrometer. DUH! So I added some water to the botton last night and since then the humidity has ran 72% and the temp 97.

This morning I tried adjusting the dial. I thought I would be able to get it to a 99.5 and not have to adjust anymore but I guess taking the lid off and adding the water must of knocked it off or something.

This makes me more determined to not open the bator once I get the eggs set.

7. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    What kind of incubator are you using? Adding the water will raise the humidity and lower the temperature *temporarily,* but if you have a decent incubator, that thermostat should get things back to normal temp-wise before long. I would leave the dial alone for an hour or more before adjusting it. Good luck!

8. 19Dawn76

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    it's an LG . I left it alone over night and have adjusted it twice since 7am.

I was really hoping it would go back to the 99.5 temp but I think 8 hours is enough time to adjust .

9. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    I put a tiny tape on front of my meter n wrote the % off and I put oxygen hoses leading to my water wells from the top holes of my LG...also both red plugs out til day 18 then add one..5o not adjust LG knob try adjusting your room a/c a lot easier ..and if u cover ur LG make sure the holes on the red plugs aren't the eggs need the oxygen.I don't add water til day 18.

10. 19Dawn76

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    Got temp to stabilize. Humidity still 2 high.

I can't adjust the room temp cause there is no central heating and air. I have the bator in a room with no wall units.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by