My 1st Pea Chick EVER !!!! PICS !!!

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
Good morning everyone. I wanted to post pics of my very first pea chick that hatched 2 days ago. I am so excited. I have posted pics of the Mother and Father below. I got the beautiful females from a fellow BYC'er and friend. I took a lot of pics so that you all could get a glimpse of them and to ask the experts about the coloring and what is your opinion of the possibility of what this baby will look like. Possible solid white because of the split to white gene? :fl

Father - (parent could be either male)

Mother - (parent could be either female)

Pea chick hatched on Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Feather/Color Pics

Last edited:
Well... that looks an awful lot like a white, but one of your females would have to be split to white for that to be true and I don't see white flights on either of your females... The other option here would be that your kids are split to blackshoulder (which wouldn't show anything). The flash makes it really hard to see the flight feathers of your little one, and the yellowy-tan of a blackshoulder's flights at that age is almost impossible to tell apart from white sometimes with strange lighting. Looking at pic #5 of the feather/color pics though.. looks pretty white! Any of your girls have any white flight feathers or had them (maybe molted them off before your photos?)

Well... that looks an awful lot like a white, but one of your females would have to be split to white for that to be true and I don't see white flights on either of your females... The other option here would be that your kids are split to blackshoulder (which wouldn't show anything). The flash makes it really hard to see the flight feathers of your little one, and the yellowy-tan of a blackshoulder's flights at that age is almost impossible to tell apart from white sometimes with strange lighting. Looking at pic #5 of the feather/color pics though.. looks pretty white! Any of your girls have any white flight feathers or had them (maybe molted them off before your photos?)

The females are split to white. I will try to take a better pic of the little one so that you can see the flight feathers a little better. Sorry about that.

Hopefully, Terri (previous owner) will jump in with their background.

I'm sure crossing my fingers for white.

Thank you for your input. Much appreciated. :thumbsup

I'll try to get more pics posted on Monday.

As far as I could tell, all of the girls were split to white --- all of them had white flights altho hard to see -- two of them have white flights on one side only (one still lives w/me-one w/Julie) -- they came from a mixed pen of whites, pieds, -- several colors all mixed together--so anything's possible w/the genetics on the girls.

I see white flights on one of the males- doesn't that indicate split to white also?

I guess my question is, do all peachicks hatch yellow?

As far as I could tell,  all of the girls were split to white --- all of them had white flights altho hard to see -- two of them have white flights on one side only (one still lives w/me-one w/Julie) -- they came from a mixed pen of whites, pieds, -- several colors all mixed together--so anything's possible w/the genetics on the girls.

I see white flights on one of the males- doesn't that indicate split to white also?

I guess my question is, do all peachicks hatch yellow?

I also saw the white flights on the males as well Terri. I'm no expert but I would think it indicates split to white as well. Too bad Mr. Burt isn't here to answer our questions. :/

And good question about all pea chicks hatching yellow. I have been looking online. I do see some others that have different colors.

What a beauty
love.gif
, the male with white flight feathers is the dad.
Congratulations on your hatch, have fun raising this baby up!!

Not all peachicks hatch all yellow, I've always seen "regular" India Blue hatched brown-ish with some sort of barrings, while whites (and probably others) hatched yellow.
Weeks will tell, I'm going to bet white, which would be a lovely addition to your collection !
big_smile.png

I'm jealous. xD

Cute chickie and nice birdies ! <3

Back
Top Bottom