My 1st time incubating.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jwatts, Mar 17, 2012.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Hello, this will be my first time incubating. A friend gave me two hov-a-bators,one is round and the other square with an auto turner. Where shall i even begin????Thank you for your time

2. chickenhatcher

chickenhatcher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    When are you setting your eggs?

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  4. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011

Thank you Ridgerunner, Those sights were so helpful.. Im probably going to have a ton of questions also. Bear with me.. I have the hova-bator model 1602n i believe,the sticker was gone when i got it. I do not have a hydrometer,How should i go about the water? Just add a little every 2-3 days? Im just a little nervous things wont work out.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't have that model, but it is hard for me to tell when the reservoir is dry and I need to add more water with mine. I have a hygrometer but I don't use it to tell me exactly what the humidity is in there. That can vary quite a bit depending on how much moisture is in the air in the room. I just use it to tell me when the water reservoir is dry and I need to add more.

Adding water every two to three days is probably as good a way to go as any as long as it doesn't run dry that quickly. It should last that long, but as I said, I don't have that model.

6. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011
    i just found a thermometer with a humidity % gauge. I think ill play around with that. thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by