My 1st time UPDATE: PLEASE READ .. EGG DISCOLORING IN LOCKDOWN

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JulieZ, Jul 23, 2010.

1. JulieZ

JulieZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    My BR eggs arrived today from Rebel Rooster. [​IMG] They were wrapped amazingly well. One egg was cracked out of the 24 but that's the way it goes. These things are fragile & the postal system is tough. Excellent shipping job, Wade. I'm impressed. [​IMG]
    My homemade bater has been running at 100.2 & 55-60% steady today where as the last two days I've been fighting it. Maybe this is a sign that I will at least have a 50% hatch rate on my first go. That's all I'm praying for. Actually, I'm praying 95 but let me not push it here.
    Right now I'm allowing the eggs to settle & will go bator around 6pm tonight. Maybe that's too much time but I've read 3-8 hours all over the boards. I know how I feel after a long trip so that's how I'm treating them. [​IMG]
    You know I'll keep everyone updated because I'm sure I'll run into happy & snagged moments along the way.

I'm praying to be a new Barred Rock chicken mommy around August 14th at the latest. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    I'm setting my first PURE bred chicken eggs today! Have done a few hatches of mixed mutts, but I'll be setting 8 Australorp and 4 EE eggs this evening! We'll have the same hatch dates!

3. JulieZ

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    NaomiSarah ... good luck & keep me posted on how things are going. I'm happy to hear I'm not alone today. [​IMG]

4. psymbiosis

psymbiosis Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    How exciting!!!

5. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

Good luck ladies!!!
    I too am working on my first chicken egg hatch.........started Monday, July 12th.
    This will be my second hatch. The company I ordered my 'bator from sent 35 quail eggs about 10 days after I got the 'bator. Of the 35 I had 30 hatch. It was SO much fun!!! Those bitty quail are so very tiny and quick.
    I've had chickens for 10 years but have always bought chicks from the local feed stores. This year I decided I wanted to start hatching for myself, mainly because I found BYC and have been learning from the forum.
    Best of luck to all of us 'hatching newbies'. [​IMG]

6. JulieZ

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    shesaredroan,
    Same here with the feed store. I decided to go for incubation so (1) I can have one kind of breed, (2) I'm with the chicks from get go that and (3) the eggs came from someone who cares about his chickens. I'm really excited there is a group of us going at it for the first time. [​IMG]

At 5pm, my eggs went into the bator. I could not get my temps up so another light went on but at a distance. It's doing the trick ... 99.5 - 100. Humidity is 60-62%. I'm making 30 minute checks to make sure all is okay with that 2nd light.

What I hate ... Digital thermometers. My non-digital is keeping proper reading temps. Think I'll buy 1 more & use the digital only for the humidity reading.

I also had to re-arrange the inside of my homemade incubator. I followed the instructions from gmendoza but I didn't have a piece of glass for the top. Instead, I used plexy glass that I had on hand. That might be making the difference with the temps. I may have built up my wiring on the bottom to high as well so I clipped too much away. Then I had to ... oh brother ... [​IMG] Please tell me this isn't a bad sign. [​IMG]

Incubator I attempted to mimic ... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=374120

It's
    on ... Now I'll be making steady trips to BYC for reassurance ... [​IMG]

EDIT: I have 23 BR's in & decided I'd add (1) Dixie Rainbow to find out what the cross is like between her & a Buff Rock. Taking a chance with only one but I don't want a handful of these around.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  7. JulieZ

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    UPDATE ... Today is day 5. Humidity is staying steady about 60-65% & my temps are being so near perfect at 99.5 - 100.5*, I'm *almost* impressed with myself but since I have about 17 days to go, I better not push my luck BECAUSE on day 3, I was working in the yard for a few hours, came in & the temp was reading 102. AAAAHHHHH FREAK OUT !!

I did some candling earlier just for the fun of it. Eggs 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 19 and 21 have easily seen veins & some of those have the "black dot" (the eye?). That's 13/23 BR eggs so far. [​IMG]:fl:fl

THEN to see what would be produced from my Dixie Rainbow hen & Buff Rock Roo, I put an egg in. It IS a double yoker & veins are easily seen on both yokes with the "black dots". We'll see how this one plays out.

The remaining eggs ... I'm just not sure of. I know one of them already is not fertilized but others just have me wondering what I'm looking at with my amateur eye. A few more days will tell.

8. JulieZ

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    I CRACKED A FERTILE EGG !!!! Day 8 & this baby is growing. Through candling I can see him moving. Go to place it back into the bator & it slipped from my fingers. CRACKED and good! I put it back into the bator after another candling. Now 4 hours later I look in on the egg & the baby is STILL ALIVE despite the crack bust being on the top & going down the side. After reading many posts ... this can be good & bad. Should I leave it in until it starts to stink? I'm only on day 8 ... that's a long haul to go. There are NO leaks.

9. spoggy

spoggy d'Anver d'Nut

Aug 19, 2008
    Carlisle Township
    Seal the crack with parafin and it should be good to go [​IMG]

10. JulieZ

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    I haven't done anything with the egg yet & the chick is growing/moving. I'm still worried as I have 12 or so days left. is there a specific way to apply it? Maybe I should let nature take it's course & not mess with good enough? Should I wrap it in something wet to make sure nothing dries out?

As it sits now ... out of the 24 eggs, only 1 was not fertilzed BUT they all died but 10. First timer may play a role. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by