My 1yo BO cock is limping :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickmomma03, Jul 3, 2016.

1. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    I have no idea what happened, but somehow my cock hurt himself. This morning when I opened the coop he was fine. Later this morning when I brought out treats he was fine. This afternoon when I went to feed and water he was fine. Later in the afternoon when I went to check on them he was fine. This evening when I went to bring out treats he was limping and holding his wings lower than he normally does. He's still his ornery self, and he's eating and drinking fine. He was crowing more than he normally does though. He looks like he's in pain. I've checked the bottom of his foot and nothing, no swelling, no redness, nothing.

I don't know how he could have gotten hurt unless he either fell or tried to fly off the nesting shelf, or he somehow ended up in one of the dust bathing holes (which I keep filling in and they keep making). I was going to check him out even more tonight, but he got into the coop and onto the nesting shelf alright, so I'm just going to watch him tomorrow. If he is still really limping I'm going to try to investigate even more. I don't really know what to look for though since there's no swelling or anything.

My cock is a real jerk sometimes, and I might complain about him and talk about how I need to cull him soon, but I still love and care for him and don't ever want to see him hurting. He's been a great protector of the flock, great with the girls for the most part, and it's been a really fun experience overall to have him around (like I said, minus some jerk moments of his).

He's my first cock, and when he was younger, even before I knew he was a he he stole my heart. He was SUCH a sweet baby. Then he hit "puberty", and he didn't want to be held or cuddled anymore, but we've had an understanding with each other for the most part and he doesn't USUALLY bother me (he hates OTHER people though).

I'm out with them multiple times a day. They can't free range unless I want to lose to hawks and other predators so they're in a protected run. There really isn't much in there he could hurt himself on. So the only things I can think of is either he fell off the nesting shelf or ladder, tried to fly down off the nesting shelf, or he fell in the dust bathing hole.

I know it might seem silly, but positive vibes for Oreo would be great. He's my baby boy.
    Also, if you have any ideas of things to check that would be great. Like I said, he's eating feed, drinking, and eating treats. His wings are a bit lower than he normally has them. No discharge or blood anywhere in sight, and no swelling at all. He's not acting 100% though behaviorally. My son's father was in the run with me, and normally he would start his leg shaking thing he always does for letting you know he's about to charge, and he didn't do that. He seems to be struggling with walking since he's not bearing full weight on his left leg.

No broken/bent toes that I can see either. He DID, however, attempt to charge at one of the younger (newly integrated) chicks for eating treats he wanted, and he flapped his wings when annoyed, but not as high and didn't stand as tall as he normally does. No puffed out feathers or anything like that, and he isn't carrying his wings out (as if to cool down), just carrying them a little lower than normal. He is limping though, which makes me think it's leg somewhere. Idk if it's sprain or broken. I would think if it was a break he wouldn't bear any weight on it at all though?

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sprains are pretty common. Just keep an eye on him. If he iis no better in a day or so, you may want to cage him, and just keep the cage out with the other girls. Put food and water with some BComplex dissolved in the water. Sprains can take up to a few weeks to heal. You may want to evaluate how he is walking every few days. Don't let him roost for awhile.

3. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    I don't have a crate. I ended up bringing him in the house for a little bit because he was laying down a lot in the run. The girls are just too rambunctious (knocking into him, and he's almost lost his balance and stumbled several times just today). I wanted to take a better look to see if I missed any wounds. I put him in the bathtub with just a little bit of water and we washed up his feet. No wounds on his feet. Then we checked his lower leg for signs of a break, and nothing and no reaction from him. When we got to his upper portion of his leg (knee and hip area) he made a noise and acted like he was in pain or uncomfortable with that. I don't have a way to section him off in the coop. I have him in a huge storage bin (no lid) in the house. He has a huge towel in there with him, a waterer, and I gave him a yogurt, cooked some eggs (waiting on them to cool) and I have a feeder. He's just not acting like his usual spunky and jerky self, he didn't even put up much of a "fight" when I tossed the towel on him to get him, it only took 2 tries (he can't move fast at all). All I have as far as vitamins are electrolytes and I have some save a chick. That's it. I don't have any vet options so whatever I do I have to do on my own. He was eating and drinking fine outside, and I'm hoping he will inside. I could put him in the mini coop outside if I have to, but it's dirt floor.

I don't have a way that I can make him not climb or roost in the coop, and I'm worried that if I section him off in there with the heat (I live in North Carolina) it could cause him to overheat and die. My coop is metal siding with a full size door and windows for ventilation, but they typically don't go in it during the day, they hang out in the run.

He's alert, but he was crowing out in pain until after I brought him inside. I know he's probably not too thrilled being in here, but I can't have him getting hurt even worse than he is right now.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some people use large laundry baskets upside down for temporary cages, so they can be out with the other chickens once in awhile, while still resting. Injuries higher up on the leg or hip might be more difficult to heal. You can give him a baby aspirin( or1/4 a regular) aspirin in his food or water for pain.

5. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    I don't think I have baby aspirin? I have the low dose 81mg that I have to take every day for my blood thinner (per my dr). Is that what baby aspirin is? If not, the only other thing I have right now is children's liquid ibuprofen I think. If I don't have the right stuff I can go get some tomorrow.

He seems to be doing alright. He's been resting, he's eating the "treat" foods I've offered (banana, some hamburger, and some scrambled eggs). I haven't seen him drink too much though. He's spunkier today than he was yesterday, so that's good, but he's also resting his leg.

I can't put him outside with a laundry basket, it's way too hot here in NC. It's been upper 90s and with heat index lower 100s.

ETA:plus he's bigger than he probably looks. He's a fairly heavy boy.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Low dose 81 mg aspirin is the same as what we used to call baby aspirin, before adults started using it for their heart health. Sorry for the confusion.

7. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    ok, so I would be able to safely break that in 1/4 and give it to him? How do I try to encourage him to eat it? I only have the chewable ones that taste like orange. I swallow whole myself, but I prefer the taste over the coated ones.

8. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Also, I found the spot that's causing him pain. It's just below his hip bone on his leg. :(

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Give him 1 whole low dose 81 mg aspirin, or 1/4 of a regular 325mg aspirin up to twice a day. Upper leg injuries especially in roosters may be difficult in healing. But I would try to keep him from using it too much for a couple of weeks to help it heal.

10. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    He's been crowing today, which he hasn't done since I pulled him inside. It's kind of comical in a way. It lets me know he's doing better than he was. He also crows when he doesn't want to lay down because he pooped on his towel lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by