My 2 1/2 month old chick is acting strange

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Heatherberry, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Heatherberry

Heatherberry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2010
    I have a Buff Orp who is acting very weird. I had all my girls outside ranging this afternoon. My husband went out to round em up when he found the Orp standing amongst my wild ferns plants in my yard just standing there with her mouth open almost gasping but not really. Her vent was puckering and going in and puckering, you get the picture, but nothing coming out or anything.

So, I go out and check her in the coop and she is standing in the middle with her eyes closed neck extended up with mouth open. I thought she was dying. But, i go in pick her up, vent clean although is was puckering and recessing over and over. She looks a little pale, if a chicken can look pale. I put her down, changed their water gave them their feed for the night and she started eating.

I can't identify any poo because they have been outside.

Her body didn't seem overly warm. I really know nothing about chicken illness or what this behavior could mean.

Any thoughts?[​IMG]

2. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    too warm came to my mind... were her wings outstretched from her body a little way? that is another sign of too hot...
    keep us posted. how is she doing now?

3. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

*bump*

4. Heatherberry

Heatherberry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2010
    I went back out to check on her. It's not heat as it has been raining an nice and cool. They have been in shade all day.

She hopped up on my leg and she is just breathing out of her mouth.

Could she have a cold? I don't think I hear wheezing but she pecks hard so I didn't really put my ear at her mouth.

If she does have a cold what do you do for that and will my other girls get it? She shook her head a couple times but didn't sneeze. No discharge, at this point and seh was fine all day until this evening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by