My 2 chickens act strange around other types of yardbirds.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by holliewould, Jul 13, 2008.

1. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Crows, doves, and other small birds are always hanging out in our bird bath. When the ladies see them they will run towards the bath flapping their wings making a pathetic screaming sound. Do they not like sharing the yard with other little birdies? Or is this their weird way of trying to hang out with the other birds? I'm embarrassed for them.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It's their territory and they are protecting their food source.

3. holliewould

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    So, they are protecting their yard from other birds because of food? I throw out people food and they will eat with a dog and 3 cats without a problem. So strange.

4. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    My young chicks will do that but the older hens tend to ignore them. Ie Doves, sparrows, cow birds, starlings...

5. holliewould

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Quote:My girls are young yet still. Maybe they are going through that trash bag stage. It's funny to watch, I just feel so embarrassed for them haha.

6. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    My girls chase off the birds and even the squirrels....I love it....my girls are guard chickens! [​IMG] It's their natural instinct to do that....no worries.

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    They may view the cats and dog as part of the 'flock'.... as to where the birds are strangers and come and go.

8. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    My americauna chases or kills other birds that come into her yard my BR chase sometimes but they are too plump and lazy to chase little birds around the yard [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by