My 2 chickens are too hot all the time. Help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silverwarrior, Jun 19, 2016.

1. silverwarrior

silverwarrior Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2016
    I have these two chickens , a pullet and cockerel about 4 months of old. I keep them in this cage in my little backyard on second floor( the little courtyard has tiling floor and not soil.)
    [​IMG]
    I keep the chickens cage door open so that they can roam around the yard whenever they want but they just stay in and keep their beeks open, furiously gasping in the heat.
    [​IMG]
    The atmosphere here is about at 40+ degree C all day but cools at night. I fear that my chickens may die of the heat because one of them is a golden campine from cold origins and might not be able to make it.I the yard stays in intense sunlight from 10:00 am in morning to 5:30 pm in evening although the about half of the yard is in shade by 3:00 p.m. I keep the floor cool by spraying water over it twice or thrice during the sunlight. My chickens look thin now and I can't think of anything to cool them. They have water and food all day long but I haven't covered the cage floor(wooden) with anything like sand or pine shavings(one of them got sick when I used pine shavings when they were chicks). So any ideas how I can keep them cool because I can't move them inside the house as it takes so much space and smells so ...chicken-like... Please. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  2. Greenthumb83

Greenthumb83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2016
    That is really hot for them. Do they get a breeze there? It looked like the cage was in a corner. With it that hot, they will definitely avoid any direct sunlight. You said you're on the second floor? So where is the space they can come out in the "yard" when it shades? Can you post a pic of the rest of the area? Also, could you get some grass clippings for bedding for them? They have to be so uncomfortable between the heat and the small bare coop.

3. silverwarrior

May 11, 2016
    [​IMG] the place looks clean but it usually has a lot of feed scattered here and there that they Peck at and there are also a couple of corners with shade where they sit when I cool the floor with water. I also have this other little cage for my two little chicks where the big ones sometimes cuddle up and eat when the small ones are playing outside the cage. The chicks don't seem bothered by the heat because during the day I keep them inside the house since their cage is smaller. They seem really happy too.
    [​IMG]
    Also I will cover the surface of their cage with good soil. I have easy access to soil that people put in plant pots which I think might be fertile soil, is it OK to use that. I have used that before when they were little and they don't seem to mind it. And how often should I replace the soil if at all? The soil gets wet around and below the water bowl and makes so many worms suddenly appear from who knows where.the chickens used to gobble up the worms in half a sec.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. silverwarrior

May 11, 2016
    Thanks I got some good ideas from the list. I have decided to place two bricks in the corner of the cage where the chickens can sit. I will lay two big bottles of frozen water around the bricks so that the chickens can sit in a cool place and stand on the bottles. That would keep them cool. I will also only give them frozen veggies and table scraps as well as watermelon. Sound alright?

1 person likes this.
  6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You are welcome and as long as they have access to chicken feed, it sounds like a good plan.

CT

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Do they have anything for dust bathing?
    In heat, the most import thing is to make sure they aren't in direct sunlight, and that they have unlimited access to cold water.

8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

It sounds like you already got a lot of good ideas. I would just be a little cautious about using potting soil since you may not know what kind of fertilizer might be in, sometimes slow release.

Good luck!

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Is there a way to make a canopy to provide a little more shade. You could use a bed sheet, doesn't have to be elaborate.

Also just wandering do they walk well on the tile floor? You have a very nice and clean space, but am wondering if the tile a slick and they may have a hard time with footing and that may be one reason they stay in their coop so often.

Your plan for giving frozen/cold treat is a good idea.

10. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

Install misters from a Home Supply store. The misters hook up with a garden hose, then turn on the water and adjust the rate an amount of mist needed.

They will drop the temperature by about 20 degrees or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by