my 2 day old baby Buff Orpingtons

Awesome birds, love the demeanor of Buff Orphingtons!!
1f425.png
1f425.png

so they all made it through their 1st night here one had a pasty butt this morning and as I was cleaning her up it looked like a pimple at/around ? her vent...!!!! when I put her back with the others she pooed so at least that is good but what could the pimple looking thing be? is that normal? did I pull to hard and pull her skin? I have only been raising chickens for 7 months and my 1st 6 did not have pasty butt I value all you guys wisdom and advice thank you in advance for any and all help

so they all made it through their 1st night here one had a pasty butt this morning and as I was cleaning her up it looked like a pimple at/around ? her vent...!!!! when I put her back with the others she pooed so at least that is good but what could the pimple looking thing be?

It's her belly button (where she connected to the yolk sack). Perfectly normal.

thanks you guys I was soooo worried I had tugged to hard...how funny also when I put fresh water down today I added ACV to their water and stopped the vitamin and electrolytes I have had my older chickens on acv from the start and they all appear happy and healthy,for my older roos and hens every morning they get cooked oatmeal raw baby spinach and a fruit in season or an extra veggie,in addition to the layer pellets and I also free range them most of the day on my off days or an hour or so after I get home,at what age do you think I could give my baby chicks some extras...and let me share this with you I just received them through the mail yesterday morning they were 2 days old. today they are already getting wing feathers...they are pullet Buff Orpingtons...love my feathered friends

I just received them through the mail yesterday morning they were 2 days old. today they are already getting wing feathers...they are pullet Buff Orpingtons...love my feathered friends

The feather development is fascinating. Also the growth rates. I have some that have tripled in size since I got them (and have feathered in like mad) and others that have barely grown at all and only have tiny little cupid feathers for wings. The most divergent are my splash chicks. Two are HUGE, one is about average for the group, and two are itty-bitty runts.

ahh yeah not all of mine have the wing feathers but still I was amazed at how fast they came in .Yesterday some was scratching on themselves I was worried they had a bug or something I guess they were making way for the feathers...I am learning new things with these babies,my 1st ever experience with raising chickens was 7 months ago with the 6 I bought from the tractor supply,i knew absolutely nothing about chickens and I am proud of myseld for having a healthy little flock of beautiful chickens,i only have an issue with one of my BO roos he wants to be people aggressive...his name is Mr.Roody Roo...fits him well,when he starts to size either me or my husband up Big Red and Yeller(both BO same age}go after him...not sure if that is a good thing or not but either way should one of my little babies turn out to be a rooster Mr.Roody Roo will be replaced ,top pic is roody at 4 months old bottom is roody at 6 months old,he is handsome but I will not have a mean bird

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom