My 2 drakes are fighting

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sandcat, Sep 6, 2010.

1. sandcat

sandcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    My 2 drakes are fighting, 1 of them is a wild mallard and the other is new to the flock and about a year old. I have 2 female mallards. They have paired up nicely but just today the 2 boys are at it and it seems its the younger boy is being very aggressive where as it was previously the old one that was aggressive, perhaps he had enough of being pushed around. any suggestions as to what i can to to make them happy or do they just sort it out on their own, i dont want anyone getting hurt:(

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I think you started a few other threads like this seeing how to get rid of the wild drake...correct? just shooh him away, and put the others in a pen for a few days being sure that the wild one doesn't get to see them and doesn't get there food or anything. Like i said on one of your other threads, i would be catious as to let a wild duck be with my domestics. I know i can be paranoid sometimes but there is no telling if that wild duck is carrying any type of disease or anything, also like i said on your other thread you have too many drakes to the amount of hens you have so that wild one needs to go bye bye in my opinion.

Good luck, i hope nobody gets hurt. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  3. sandcat

Sep 1, 2010
    Ive gtried shooing it away I even stand outside when the ducks are eating as the wild one wont come near when im there. hopefully it just leaves, I think the young drake has got the girls onside now as they are following him around and he has mated both of them, thanks for your reply

4. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Have you tried putting them in a pen for a while where he can't see them? (a day or so)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  5. sandcat

Sep 1, 2010
    I dont actually have a pen for them, I live on a large rural property. They just stay around my house. by the look of things the old drake will be gone soon anyway as the younger one is very persistent and is making sure the females are staying with him. He is alot bigger than the old drake. My partner said he would just shoot it [​IMG] but I said i didnt want to do that. even though it a wild duck and they get shot all the time it just felt wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by