My 2 Easter Egger's have stopped laying, why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by californiachick74, Jan 3, 2010.

1. californiachick74

californiachick74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern California
    Hello everyone [​IMG] Could someone tell me why 2 of my Ester Egger's have stopped laying. We live in So. Cal and the weather is not that harsh. The girls are approx 2 years old in age. Also it seems my entire flock is not laying that much....which is unusual! The past winters I always had eggs in the kitchen . This year is different. Please help. Thanks

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Molting?

I have 2 of mine molting right now.

3. californiachick74

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern California
    Molting? As in losing feathers? If you are implying losing feathers then no. We are all covered well for the winter [​IMG]

4. me and my marans

me and my marans Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2009
    maybe not enough sunlight???

5. californiachick74

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern California
    They are free range during the day [​IMG] Out of curiosity, what do you all feed your girls?

6. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    I have four laying birds, including an EE. About a week before Christmas, the EE stopped laying while the other three brown egg layers continued in a slow but steady manner. The EE just started laying again today. I think it was the light issue.

Mary

7. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    They need 14 hours of light to stimulate laying.
    I have to either supplement light with a timer or make do with 7 eggs out of 50 hens (today's "bounty"). Last winter, I started the light at 3:30 am to receive around 40 eggs a day from them.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Many of mine who are over their yearly molt are still not laying. Some breeds tend to take the entire winter off, too, especially as they get older.

9. californiachick74

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern California
    Quote:I'll start leaving the light on inside their coop and see if that will help. I'm estimating here in So. Cal we get approx. 10 hours of daylight a day. I hope this will help! I have 9 chickens and I'm only getting an egg or 2 a day (if I'm lucky). Thanks for your help. I'll keep ya posted [​IMG]

10. californiachick74

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern California
    Funny thing. I finally got an egg from one of the EE's today. It's been more than a month since either of them have laid. I guess the EE's ears were burning and afraid she may end up in the stew pot and decided to lay today! HAHAHA [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by