My 2 girls stopped laying now for 6 weeks! Could it be trauma?

Nannner

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Hey! I am fairly new at raising chickens. It has been over a year and I got 2 young hens. 1 RIR / 1 Plymouth rock. They became best friends and would follow each other around all day. Both being awesome layers. They become a part of our family very quickly. Every morning I greet them, as they do me. Six weeks ago I found Mable (RIR) was killed by a ...we think... a opossum. It was terrible and I just sat there and cried...blaming myself for not closing coop that night. I picked up Mable and cleaned the coop. That day...who says chickens are stupid...Alice Cooper sat on the spot where I found Mable all day. very sad.

My question...finally...It has been over six weeks and Alice Cooper (Plymouth Rock) has not laid an egg. We did bring in a new friend for her...but she is not interested. I guess a polish wasn't her type. I live in Florida so it doesn't have to do with weather or light. Do you think that chickens can actually morn and stop laying? Is this permanent? Does anyone have any suggestions/comments?

Thank you so very much.
Nancy

P.S. Those that think they can get away with not closing the coop EVERY night, please wake up to reality...everyone has a predator!
he.gif

Welcome to BYC. There are all kinds of stressors that cause chickens to stop laying; heat, change of feed, molt, internal/external parasites, change in living conditions etc...give her time, she'll lay again when she's ready. Be careful when introducing new chickens...remember biosecurity and quarantine newbies for at least 30 days. The worst predators are the ones that only appear under a microscope.

Yes, I think it could be trauma, although heat stress etc. as mentioned can contribute. And yes i think sometimes they mourn, or whatever the chicken version is. Maybe she felt safe with the one who died around her.

Thank you for support. New to the chicken world and loving it! I was worried that it could cause her a blockage of some sort...don't hens have to lay?? Since I have been doing some researching today - it could be as simple as her food. We got her a new friend and started feeding her different food. I usually get Purina Chicken Layer but got the new chick in a rural area of NC and found feed I just picked up. Perhaps it is as simple as bad feed. I am going to the feed store tomorrow and start feeding her Purina again. I will keep you up to date on my girls.
Thank you again....love being a newbie!
Nancy

Quote:
Dawg, Thank you for your help....after some research...I think I figured it out...it may be her food. I took her off her old food (Purina Layer) and some cheap stuff I got when I got the new chicken from a small remote town in NC at the grocery store. Also...I didn't put the two together for over 30 days mostly due to the age. She was still too little to put in with my older hen. I would imagine I would have noticed any problems by then right? The place I got her was a very clean, organized farm and checked her out pretty well.
I'll keep you posted
Thank you again

Back
Top Bottom