My 2 girls

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by CaseyV, Oct 10, 2013.

1. CaseyV

CaseyV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Mississippi
    Does anyone have any bottle feeding experience with calves. Most of our mama cows twined this year and have been rejecting them. They are both 3 weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  2. houseofknauss

houseofknauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2013
    no experience personally, however, I have run across several that have done bottle feeding successfully till they could get them drinking on their own. get a milk replacer--usually comes in a powder you can mix.

3. houseofknauss

Jul 17, 2013
    they are beautiful by the way!!!

4. CaseyV

Jul 11, 2013
    Mississippi
    Thank you. I've been bottle feeding one since it was hours old and the other since it was a week old. Do you know the weaning age? I've read 3 months.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  5. houseofknauss

Jul 17, 2013
    ok, I went to my source--(my 24 year old daughter who lives on a farm with her hubby) she said what she does to start weening them off the bottle is to stick your hand in their mouth and they suck on your hand and then you slip a bucket over your hand while still in their mouth so they can start getting use to sucking the milk out of the bucket. you slowly remove your hand. she said it is a process that some get right away and some take a little more time. she also said to hang on to the bucket because they will shove their heads into it looking for a nipple.

6. houseofknauss

Jul 17, 2013
    hope this helps and good luck--she said 3 weeks old, heck yeah, start the bucket method to get them off the bottle and then it will be easy to go from there

7. CaseyV

Jul 11, 2013
    Mississippi

Tell her I said thank you and I will try that this afternoon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by