my 2 gold campines died tonight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by purplebaby, Sep 12, 2007.

1. purplebaby

purplebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    east long island
    both my 2 gold campines died tonight and i dont know why. i also have 8 silkies in that coop that seem fine. they deteriorated rapidly. i checked on them all this morning b4 work. they were fine. i got home at 4 and went to let them all out to range when 1 of the gold campines was laying on her side, the other cluk cluking and ruffled. i quickly checked the board, ran out got yogurt eggs and a syringe and tried to give them water. by this point they had both been laying on their sides unable to move legs in coordinated way, breathing slowly and unable to support necks/heads. about 7:15 pm the one took a really deep breath snuggled over to the other one and died. the other followed sortly thereafter.

i am heart broken. does any one have suggestions on what went wrong? are they susceptable to something the silkies arent? they seem fine, do i need to worry? what can i do? what should i do? can i protect the silkies? i do not want anymore to suffer, or to lose another one......
    mb [​IMG]

edited to add they were born in may i believe and i have had them since aug 25the

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  2. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I'm so sorry to hear that. Losing two birds so quickly must feel devastating. I haven't a clue what it could be, but I would watch those others closely, if I were you. Hopefully someone with a better idea of what to do will post soon. . . .

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Wow, I am sooo very sorry. I ahve no idea what it could have been...but didnt want to rread the post and not reply. Is there a chance there was moldy feed in there?Rat/mouse poison? I really dont know...I would keep an eye on the others tho...maybe take them to the vet for a necropsy???

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That is strange. Just thoes two? I would also watch carefully for any other changes in the flock. Necrocopy is a good idea if you are willing to pay for one. If the two golden campines died were siblings... maybe a genetic problem leading them to be more suseptable? Don't really know what to say.

5. purplebaby

May 20, 2007
    east long island
    [​IMG]i guess mouldy food among the wood chips would be possible... rat poison or the like isn't. i dont own any. i am afraid the kids or dogs will get it.
    they were siblings i think, but i sent an email to the woman i got them from. i looked up boutulism and it really sounds like it... i will be checking the other ones carefully! i cant afford a necropsy, besides i already buried them.
    since these 2 flew, it could also be they were out of their run and found something yucky... and that is why the others are ok... hope...hope...hope.
    o what a yucky day...
    mb

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm sorry that you lost them...I was going to say that it sounds like they were poisoned...botulism is a poison, so that might've been it.

7. purplebaby

May 20, 2007
    east long island
    thank u all for your support! i really love this board, you guys are great. i am leaning toward the botulism. i am looking it up out on the web now....

8. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Just wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear about that. [​IMG]

I hope it turns out the silkies are all safe, especially if those two did fly out and pick something up.

Sorry ...

trish

9. purplebaby

May 20, 2007
    east long island
    silkies are all good so far...... keeping fingers crossed.
    good news is i have eggs.

10. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    I lost my Golden Campine on Sunday. That's the only bird that I've lost. A month ago, I lost my other Golden Campine. Those are the only birds that have passed away on my place of unknown causes this whole year.

I have no idea what caused their demise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by