1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My 2 Golden Polish girls aren't laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by atckbint, Feb 23, 2009.

1. atckbint

atckbint New Egg

Jul 29, 2008
    I got 2 adolescent GP hens last summer, and they have yet to lay any eggs. My husband mumbled something about "they really need to start laying . . ." LOL . But seriously, I'm a newbie, just started last spring, and I would have thought they'd lay by now. I live in Northern Virginia, so that weather isn't too extreme. My RIR, who's in with the GPs, lays marvelous eggs.

Any ideas/help out there?

Andrea

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

This may seem like a silly idea. I`ve been raising chickens for 51 years and I`ll swear this works....sometimes. Borrow a rooster! Now, I know a rooster has nothing to do with egg production, but I`ve had it work, either by coincidence or by fact of nature. Sorta like priming a pump. If they have a nice comfy nest handy and maybe a very authentic looking nest egg, Whadda ya got to lose?

You did say "adolescent". They could just be slow on the draw, considering the time of year.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Polish hens are late layers. Out of 11 different hens, all different breeds, she was the last to lay. It took her quite a few months to start up. Don't worry, this is totally normal. [​IMG]

Also be aware that some are said to be poor layers. Normal also.

4. atckbint

atckbint New Egg

Jul 29, 2008
    Thanks for your responses! I found them very useful. Really funny about borrowing a roo to prime the pump.[​IMG]

Sadly, I can't do that because I'm in an urban-suburban setting and the neighbors would have fits if they even heard one cockadoodle doo! Worried about arranging a "sleepover" with my country lady friend with tons of chickens, because GPs are such victims, and I'm afraid the other chickens would hurt my girls.

A couple days ago, I got one smaller white egg (so it wasn't my RIR!), . . . nature is taking its course . . .

Andrea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by