My 2 Golden Polish girls aren't laying

atckbint

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
I got 2 adolescent GP hens last summer, and they have yet to lay any eggs. My husband mumbled something about "they really need to start laying . . ." LOL . But seriously, I'm a newbie, just started last spring, and I would have thought they'd lay by now. I live in Northern Virginia, so that weather isn't too extreme. My RIR, who's in with the GPs, lays marvelous eggs.

Any ideas/help out there?

Andrea

This may seem like a silly idea. I`ve been raising chickens for 51 years and I`ll swear this works....sometimes. Borrow a rooster! Now, I know a rooster has nothing to do with egg production, but I`ve had it work, either by coincidence or by fact of nature. Sorta like priming a pump. If they have a nice comfy nest handy and maybe a very authentic looking nest egg, Whadda ya got to lose?

You did say "adolescent". They could just be slow on the draw, considering the time of year.

Last edited:
Polish hens are late layers. Out of 11 different hens, all different breeds, she was the last to lay. It took her quite a few months to start up. Don't worry, this is totally normal.
wink.png

Also be aware that some are said to be poor layers. Normal also.

Thanks for your responses! I found them very useful. Really funny about borrowing a roo to prime the pump.
lol.png

Sadly, I can't do that because I'm in an urban-suburban setting and the neighbors would have fits if they even heard one cockadoodle doo! Worried about arranging a "sleepover" with my country lady friend with tons of chickens, because GPs are such victims, and I'm afraid the other chickens would hurt my girls.

A couple days ago, I got one smaller white egg (so it wasn't my RIR!), . . . nature is taking its course . . .

Andrea

Back
Top Bottom