My 2 hatchling Welsummers - **7 Wk Update**

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by turtle1173, Sep 6, 2008.

1. turtle1173

turtle1173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    My two new babies that I hatched are now 2 days old. They are so sweet [​IMG]

I've heard you can tell the sex of them early on. I'm guessing I have one male and one female. My basis for that is simply because they look different from each other. One is noticeably larger than the other, although you can't necessarily tell from the pics. The head markings and stripes are different from each other. Ones coloration is lighter.

But, I wanted to see what some others thought.

Thanks!
    Shane

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I used to go by the stripes but not anymore because I have hatched out at least four doz of Welsummers in the past year and believe it or not, its a poor indication which ones are males and females. They both have the either or same markings. Said to be the fuzzy markings are the males and the females are more defined.

I had 15 fuzzy marked and two defined marks, figured I had 15 cockerals and two pullets. Well as they got older, I got six pullets and eight cockerals...the rest of them had died earlier (my own fault) so no indication of this June's batch.

So in this case, you could end up as a pair or two of either sex.

3. turtle1173

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    Thank you Ewesheep. That helps me narrow it down, LOL [​IMG]

I'm really not that concerned at this point, although I would prefer not to have 2 cockerals. I do want one anyway.

Time will tell, as it usually does.

Shane

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    From what i have been told about sexing them, i would say you have one of each.

5. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I agree, don't go with color. I've had some very light colored Welsummers turn out to be pullets.

One thing I have found to be more accurate ( other than vent sexing which I can't do ) is at a week old the combs on the roos tend to be more obvious. This still isn't a guarantee but it's worked pretty well for me.

6. turtle1173

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    Well, my babies are now 3 weeks old and growing fast. I thought I would share a few more photos.

I believe it is more obvious now about my two little ones being a male and female. Can anyone tell me for sure?

Thanks (once again)!
    Shane

Both together (male on left, female on right??)
    [​IMG]

Female?
    [​IMG]

Male?
    [​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Do you think that you might have a big roo and a small roo?

8. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I've hatched many Welsummers and sorry to say, they both look like roos! One is just developing a little slower then the other. A pullet would pretty much have no comb up until its 13th week!

9. turtle1173

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    Now now, you know that's not what I want to hear!! LOL [​IMG]

The one with the red comb is definitely more "fiesty" than the other one. That may just be because he's bigger though. I was really hoping for a pair from this hatching.

The good news is, I've got 9 more Welsummer eggs to put in the bator tonight (thanks AussieSharon!). What are the odds of getting 5 or 6 pullets out of that?? Yeah, I know, don't tell me [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shane

10. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    oh Shane I have to agree. Looks like 2 roos [​IMG]
    Fingers and toes crossed you hatch all girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by